Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
7,796 Posts
A Shadow 600 or 750 would be a good option as well. They both can handle highway speeds well enough, and at 6feet tall, they should still be big enough so you dont feel cramped. They are small enough though so they wont feel intimidating. (it helps that their center mass is low, so it feels much better balanced.

They are very forgiving bikes as well, having a good broad powerband, but that power level is low enough that is should not feel scare in the least. They handle turns with a sure footedness that inspires confidence, and respond well to imputs, but they are not riding the razor's edge like some bikes (read supersports) would be.

I do recommend you try the 500 Ninja out to see if it feels ok for you. If it feels decient for you, then it wll fill the other requirements nicely. If it does not feel right, then a Shadow or similar cruiser may be the better choice. One more thing about the Shadows, you can get one brand new out the door for $8k or less. If you go that route, you have various choices, but they all will be 750's (which is not a bad thing) If you go usedthen your options will be grately expanded.

Also, you can include the 500 Vulcan as an option. Thats another good choice.

7,796 Posts
My only caviet about the Nighthawk 750 as a first bike would be concerns about power. Would the I-4 engine produce more power than I would recommend for a beginner rider? Yes, there are some I-4 bikes out there that are not way overpowering, but there are some (even 600cc ones) that are WAY more powerful than I would recommend. That is why I recommend a Shadow or equivolant.

7,796 Posts
Being 6'2" myself, the only persons that I would recommend a Shadow or equivalent to are "altitude impaired". I.E. Under 5' 8".
They are all VERY UNCOMFORTABLE and even DANGEROUS to ride for a taller person.

Sky...
That is entirely untrue. I know of several riders of Shadows who are rather tall (over 6') and they are quite comfortable on the bike, and ride it very safely. Yes, generally, the Shadow would be more comfortable for a short person like me, but thats not always the case.

Thats like saying that an 1800 VTX or a full dresser Harley would be unsafe for someone my size. (5'4") Considerin that I personally know one woman who is smaller than me who rides a full dresser just as well as anyone...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.