Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But took a ride threw Death Valley, Nevada & California on Route 1 and threw Yosemite. It was a good ride and took four days. I enjoyed it and plan to make the trip again next year.

And no that is not my bike but someone who has the same bike as me. I rented the Goldwing for the trip. I have 40 something pictures but not able to upload them all. Can't really post much but it is what it is.

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I don't remember off hand MONI but it was something like 1,300+ Miles. Not many miles but a really good ride. We also enjoyed our nights having a few beers and relaxing and shooting the crap.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Looks like (and I would anticipate) a ton of sand on that trip. Any issues keeping it out of the carbs and air cleaner?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
It's not all sand soupy and would only be a concern(and not too much then) if the wind was really kicking up.

I've traveled those roads many times. That is the only good thing about California. The land is diverse and beautiful.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
But took a ride threw Death Valley, Nevada & California on Route 1 and threw Yosemite. It was a good ride and took four days. I enjoyed it and plan to make the trip again next year.
That looks like an AWESOME ride!

And at about 1,300 miles, you went further on one nice trip then most other riders do, regardless of what they may say on the forums. :p

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow that does look like an amazing ride!

·
7,762 Posts
No sand Soupy as all of the roads are paved unless a person takes some side trips.

beautiful pictures!

Those areas were mine and my riding bud's favorite areas for the mini-tour.

Next time, go up the CA coast and enjoy the Redwoods in CA and Oregon. In Brookings, OR, the first city up from the CA border, there is a KOA campground where we camped many times surrounded by the big trees!

Once a person rides through Death Valley, the beauty of the images will never be forgotten.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
One thing I can say while I was out there is that Cali roads were all great travel. Given their finances now, that may have all changed.

Out of the whole of Cali, I actually preferred the eastern Sierra's. Exploring the mountains to the deserts of Nevada and Arizona. The Redwoods was nice but once you see trees that's about it. And I don't tolerate the cold and fog of the coast well. Nice to see but for me it was always go back where it's warm. One thing about Cali is you can see it all relatively quickly as far as terrain. Some places just a little different than others. Great place to tour. Not so good to live there. For me anyway.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I found that California roads were a lot worse than Nevada roads. No problem seeing where the state line was. You could tell which state had the better funding.

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
I found that California roads were a lot worse than Nevada roads. No problem seeing where the state line was. You could tell which state had the better funding.
When was that Dods. I left nearly 30 years ago. They were good then but I know their economy is in the toilet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did not think I would get many replies so that was a surprise. :biggrin:

Awesome!!!

Hey, l'm curious...how did you create that trip map and share it with us? Is there a website for that?
We used Mapquest to plan the route.

Looks like (and I would anticipate) a ton of sand on that trip. Any issues keeping it out of the carbs and air cleaner?

-Soupy
Sand was not an issue but dust was. I had to spray off the bike once on the trip. My throat was really dry the entire trip. Bugs were not an issue till we got in to California. I think the bike rental place was mad at me because the bike was dusty and had bugs all over it. lol

That looks like an AWESOME ride!

And at about 1,300 miles, you went further on one nice trip then most other riders do, regardless of what they may say on the forums. :p
When we ended our trip the following few days we had left we rode local threw the desert. I love riding threw Death Valley. Not much traffic if any at times.

That is true. I also hate the fuel pumps in California because you have pull on the seal (not sure what it is called) to pump fuel which is a real pain for a bike.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I also hate the fuel pumps in California because you have pull on the seal (not sure what it is called) to pump fuel which is a real pain for a bike.
Those are vapor recovery nozzles. They are designed to keep gas vapor from getting into the air when fueling, reducing air pollution. I don't know how effective they really are, but you have to manually hold them open to fill a motorcycle tank, which defeats the purpose and makes it a pain.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I think they call that a fume reclaimer. Here in Jefferson County in Missouri we have those. So does St. Louis, St. Louis Co, Franklin Co and St. Charles County. But all of the folks that live a little further out in other counties, that drive through these counties daily don't have them.

They are a pain when trying to fill a gas can too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts