Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year I will be looking at getting another bike next year for when I have my permit. It will have to be a enduro since my parents wont let me get a street bike. I will probably go vintage but the one thing I cant decide on is engine size, I want a 500 but Im not sure. I am 5'10 and I weigh about 140lbs.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I went from a Cl125 to a 400 special when I was 16 and 135 lbs. and it was a perfect trade. But I got my permit at 14.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've been on a trail 90, and I will be doing a lot of just climbing around with maybe a race or two for off road, for on road daily freeway riding and just around town.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So here is the deal with older dual-purpose bikes...either go big for the power, or small for the light weight. If you land in the middle you will find yourself on a dog. An XL200 will do great things in the woods, you will have a lot of fun on it, they are light and easy to handle. If you want a little more speed drop down a tooth on the sprocket for better road speed. It will probably do 50mph or so.

A DR400 is a great bike as well, but a lot to throw around in the dirt. They are tall too...it would definitely be a big step up from a trail 90. If you were riding more on road and less in the dirt then it would be a great choice. It will do highway speeds fine.

What l would stay away from is an XL250 or 350, or any of the other makes' versions of them. They aren't enough more bike to gain much on the road, and they grow in weight considerably at the 250 class because the motor requires a stronger frame. If you're going to go there you might as well jump to a 400 and make the extra weight worth it.

·
8,668 Posts
I read right over the part about it being an enduro. The DR400 is a good machine, Hawk has it right though, when I ride in the woods I prefer a 250 because it's a bit easier to flick around, but then you end up giving up speed out on the road. That's why I have a CRF250x and an Ultra, I never could find a happy medium.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My last dirt bike was a KTM 250 EX/C & it was awesome! The last owner apparently did manage to get it licensed by adding a bicycle horn :D to it & got "lucky" at the DMV. But KTM does also make bikes that are fully street legal & they receive GREAT reviews, & have 350 & 500cc bikes as well. However, the dealer network is sparse & that might be a problem depending on where you live.

You have to make a serious decision what % of your riding is off-road & what % on-road.

·
6,500 Posts
My last Dualsport type bike was a new 1999 KTM 640EXC and it did everything well, dirt and highway.

From a Honda trail 90 (I had one) to a larger Dual purpose bike is a big step. Larger and more powerful bikes can get away from a person very quickly, on the street or in the dirt.

A very good Dualsport bike is the Suzuki DR650: Drop a tooth on the countershaft and lower the air pressure in the tires and maybe a nice SuperTrapp exhaust like I had and it works great. Get back on the road and that bike has no problem keeping up with basically anything on the road--especially since you weigh about what one of my legs weigh.:coffeescreen:

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
That DRZ400 is a good step up but it is tall. I'm almost 5'11" and 33" inseam and could not flat foot it. But then I have shrunk some in my old age.:D Back has collapsed some for sure but the legs haven't. I don't think.:confused: It is a good bike but you will want to throw the seat away after 25 miles on it.

·
8,668 Posts
It is a good bike but you will want to throw the seat away after 25 miles on it.
Dude, at his age I could have the handlebars positioned in front of the headlight and used a two by four as a seat and still ridden 1000 miles a day.

They don't have the achy-breaky -back and haven't lost their ass yet.

Where does a man's behind go after age 40??:confused: It'd be nice to have something to hold my pants up.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Where does a man's behind go after age 40??:confused: It'd be nice to have something to hold my pants up.:biggrin:
Their wives probably kicked them in the buttuski one to many times :biggrin: That's what they make suspenders for......Or you can pretend to be a teeny bopper and just let it hang out.....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You asked our opinion cubby...you too will talk this way someday...

In all honesty about your next bike, l really think you should consider an XL200 or an XT225. It is the natural progression from what you have been riding, and will be a lot more fun than you think. When l was your age l had a Suzuki PE175 and it was an absolute kick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts