Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a street bike forum but I have a dirt bike that isn’t running right. It seems to stall regardless of the choke position when you start it. It idles really high. I am no mechanic. I paid to have the carb cleaned and that didn’t do it. The mechanic said it’s because there’s old gas in the tank. I don’t think that’s it. What could be weong?

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
The guys might need the year too Mils to see whether rubber parts might be breaking down and leaking. When was the last time you cleaned or changed the air filter? Might want to just put a new one in anyway being a dirt bike which is subject to a lot of dust. That will take that potential problem out of the picture.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a 2018. It was purchased used. I never would have bought it. It just happened that I was supposed go and see it on a certain day and something came up, so I sent my brother, who has zero common sense. I would not have bought it because it was not in the condition described. The guy who came to look at it last night and wouldn’t buy it and said that a part of the engine looked like it had been glued back together on top of the other issues. I don’t know how to do my own work and I can’t put any more money out on this thing. How hard is it to change the filter? What tools would i need? I also don’t want to keep putting money into this thing.

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
How do I adjust the idle?
That information can be found in the owners manual. Your Honda dealer would be able to get a copy of the owners manual. They would probably have to order it, it may take a week. I believe they're supposed to supply them for x amount of years for free, even if you are not the original owner.

Could also possibly download it off the internet. Get your printer hooked up to do this, you'll want a paper copy of it :wink2:. Lots of other goodies in there also.

If at anytime your going to do any work on it that is not covered in the owners manual, then it is time to get the service manual :smile:.

· Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
988 Posts
I'm confused. Maybe it won't matter, but, did you buy it or your brother? And did you buy it even though you didn't want to?

It can very well be old gas. How old is the gas? It's awful easy and cheap to drain the gas out and put fresh gas. Always use fuel stabilizer too and don't fill it all the way. Put enough to test it and you may have to remove the tan again. Look up your bike for these issues on you tube. Your not the first with this bike to have issues and they usually all have the same issues. They'll be plenty of things on there about it.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have no idea why the guy I paid to clean the carb didn’t just drain the old gas. Instead, he put new gas on top. I really got taken and he won’t even call me back now! This is why, even today, I don’t think females should deal with men in these situations because they get taken advantage of. As much as I hate to do it, I’m going to have to pay the Honda dealership on top of the 150 I already put out. I don’t have a place to work and I don’t have the proper tools. I don’t know anybody who can help me either.

· Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
988 Posts
It's just people and the way they have become. I learned it's not fixed until the user never knew it was broke once your done. But that's just me. You need to verify everything yourself. My brother bought a bike from a dealer a couple of weeks ago. They made him wait a day so they could "properly service it before he picked it up" which included an oil change. We drove two hours there to see it, two hours home after not picking it up, then two hours back the next day. The oil filter screwed onto the front of the engine was clearly still dirty and not a new oil filter. He asked me if we should make them change it. I said no because if that is how they do their service you don't want them messing with it any more than you have to and we will do it ourselves.

When you are draining the gas out look for an inline filter. If you find one, replace it. It can be any inline fuel filter that fits. It doesn't have to be Honda branded.

· Loves All Motorcycles
1,268 Posts
It's a 2018, so the fuel can't be any older than a year old. That could still be old enough to cause cold running problems. I'd do the easiest thing first: Drain that old stuff out, put new stuff in. Cold start the bike on full choke. It's okay if it wants to die at very first (chokes aren't perfect) but it should quickly get to a place where it'll idle without throttle input.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
You'll need to drain the old fuel out of the carburetor too. :wink2:
The fuel bowl drain screw is located at the bottom of the carburetor, probably (?) on the left side. Be careful not to over-tighten the screw after draining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.