Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We talk a LOT about body styles, but let's talk engines for a moment or two, eh?!

In the HD lineup, how many engine types do they have? I don't mean how many "cc" variations........I mean designs.

Is the motor in a Fatboy (for example) the same motor that's in a Road King?

Is one of the motor choices, showing more historical reliability than any other in the mix?

Just askin............

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There are currently four types of engines in the line-up. Street, Twin Cam, V Rod and Evolution. Two liquid cooled and two air cooled.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
There are currently four types of engines in the HD line-up. Street, Twin Cam, V Rod and Evolution. Two liquid cooled and two air cooled.
True and also also the Twin Cams come in "A" and "B" A is the Rubber Mount found in Dynas and Touring and B is the Balanced found in Softails .. The Road King is the Touring Class so is a Twin Cam A The Fatboy is a Softail so is a Twin Cam B ..

Basically all Victory's are the same 106" Cubic Inch Air Cooled Now but the Frame Design Differs in different Models ..

Indian has the 111" CI in All 3 of the Air Cooled Chief Models and the 69" CI in the Water Cooled Scout ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok..........and of the four, do any of them stand out as more long-term durable or dependable?

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the verdict is not "in" yet on the "Street" engine, ok.....and the other three are such that you "can't kill em." I'll accept that.

That said, what was all the criticism about leaking and break downs, and so forth all about? Was it a jibe at the AMF years, and the bikes that came from those years?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's an attempt to make some people who do not ride Harley's feel better about their own bike.:coffeescreen:

AMF bikes weren't all that bad, especially compared to what else was being sold at the time. The real issue was that AMF was trying to mass produce the bikes to compete with other brands then flooding the market. Harley's had essentially always been sort of hand built machines of very high quality, and they were trying to compete with the mass produced imports which were not built or designed to last. It would kind of be like asking the Zippo factory to out produce the disposable Bic lighter factory.

Also, Harley was plodding along making heavy weight American motorcycles, and the imports were offering new designs that were lighter weight, faster, and offered better performance in just about every category except long distance riding. Lots of people wanted something newer and sportier.

As for oil leaks, I had a fun conversation with a GW rider the other day, and if I get done drawing this afternoon I'll write it up for you.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no doubt Eye, that there are horror stories with all bikes, just like any transportation vehicle. That's why "Lemon Laws" were put on the books.

That's most likely why there are videos out there that specifically speak to "what to look for" when buying "Used" (for example). Buying "New" doesn't always guarantee a trouble-free purchase, either (as I can attest to with a cage I bought once).

-Soupy

·
Registered
257 Posts
AMF gets a lot of blame that they don't really deserve. HD would have been in bankruptcy within another year or two if AMF handn't bought them out and then pumped millions of dollars into the company. Sure AMF didn't know anything about manufacturing motorcycles and made some mistakes but HD wouldn't exist today if not for AMF. They were also helpful and assisted with the employee buyback of the company in the early 80's. Willie G has said all of this himself. The Harleys made today are as good, or better, as any motorcycle made today.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
If you ride you are apt to find more problems too. Weekend warriors rarely get enough miles to ever see a problem. I still think the Evolution is one of the best engines they have. But I had a bike with one that in today's world would have qualified as a lemon.

Somehow the sucker never left me stranded though. But with 66k miles in 3 years I had gone through my 4th drive belt install. Still one of the best bikes I ever had. I'm still on a Harley even today. Tried a couple others but came back.

Today's Harleys can stand up to any competitor. But I could never say it's good for everyone. Ride several different bikes and get the one that "fits" your style of riding. Simple as that. The bikes are all good.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I think a lot of the 'Harley marking it's spot' goes back to the day of the automatic chain oilers.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
They haven't made an EVO big twin in.... 20 years ish...

The twin cam first came out in an 88" format, then 96", and now 103"... the Limited is "twin cooled" with small radiators, and small cooling ports around the exhaust valves, as does the 110 in the CVO's.

Cop bikes and CVO's were usually a bit ahead of the game getting the bigger engines earlier.

The CVO, what some incorrectly call the Screamin' Eagle bikes, now come with a 110".

The twin cams also come in 2 variants, the "A" engine, which is not balanced, but is rubber mounted in the Touring and Dyna lines, and the "B" engines, which are balanced, and rigid mounted in the Softail line.

The Sportsters still come with EVO engines, both 883 and 1200.

The Street comes in 750cc and 500cc, and is liquid cooled, and the Revolution is a 1200cc (I think) 60 degree Vtwin in the VRods.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Ok..........and of the four, do any of them stand out as more long-term durable or dependable?

-Soupy
The EVO engine in a sporty is head and shoulders better than any twin cam. The engine in a V-rod is also pretty solid.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.........The CVO, what some incorrectly call the Screamin' Eagle bikes, now come with a 110"............
I think there was/is a HD bike model that is CALLED a "Screamin Eagle," no?

The exhaust on my Fatboy says "Screamin Eagle on it," and I believe my Spec sheet says that the motor on my bike is a "Twin Cam 88B" if I read it right.

The "Spec Sheet" also says I have a "shotgun exhaust" on the bike, so I'm thinking the "Screamin Eagle" exhaust on there now, was an upgrade by the previous owner, yes? (Or does the "Shotgun Exhaust" simply refer to the fact that the two pipes are individual, and not merged?)

-Soupy

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
No.

Screamin' Eagle is Harley's "performance" brand name... the bikes referred to as such are actually CVO, or Custom Vehicle Operations, they are, or WERE, hand assembled in a special shop, using a lot of Screamin Eagle parts, special paint, painted frames.. . a lot of add-ons, including the larger engines with Screamin Eagle heads... and enough chrome to choke Arlen Ness.

Lay folks not in the know tagged them with that moniker. Not that it is a bad thing, there are a lot of guys that own them that don't really "get it".

It has become a common term, and most understand what someone means when they call one a "Screamin' Eagle".

Your pipes, or rather, mufflers, are Screamin' Eagle brand. The shotgun exhaust refers to the over and under style on the FatBoys and a few others... and they do have a crossover, but you have to look for it, it is a black pipe behind the chrome that actually connects the two, unless the previous changed the headpipes. Get me a good pic of the exhaust and I should be able to tell you.

And yes, it is an 88B. 88 cubic inches, which came on all the big twins from the mid to late '90s through '06 on the Softails and Touring models, and '05 on the Dynas, after that they went to the 96ci.

If the mufflers read "Screamin' Eagle", they are not stock. If they changed the mufflers, and they did, and changed the intake, there's an easy way to tell... hopefully they did something with the tune also, not so easy to tell. Those 3 being done is what is called a "Stage 1"

Get a pic of the air cleaner, either from directly behind, like from by the back wheel looking forward, or from the top looking directly down, like from the side of the tank, and I can tell you.

Those are absolutely great bikes, no matter what!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The "air cleaner" is an after market item as well, if I see correctly. I say that because I have a Stock photo as my wallpaper that shows a chrome-covered canister type, and the one on MY bike is like this:

as opposed to THIS, which comes from that Stock picture I was mentioning:

I would imagine that since we both agree that the pipes on my bike are after market; I would presume (although I can't swear to it of course) that whomever did the pipe change, also did any jet work that was needed on the carbs, for any compression issues that would have likely come up.

In terms of performance, the bike is running like a top!!

P.S.: By the way, I'll show my ignorance here but, what are those angled vertical rods on the sides of the V-Twin's cylinders all about? Are they anchors for the heads? They certainly LOOK "cool," but I'm sure they must be functional.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting! Thanks Dods!

Hey Dods..........any way of knowing (probably from the VIN number I suppose, but who can read those?!) if my bike was built in Milwaukee or York?

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I would imagine that since we both agree that the pipes on my bike are after market; I would presume (although I can't swear to it of course) that whomever did the pipe change, also did any jet work that was needed on the carbs, for any compression issues that would have likely come up.

-Soupy
You don't have jets nor carbs. You are fuel injected and any changes would have been done the the engine fueling tables via a computer program.

See if you can get a detailed listing of work preformed by the dealer on your bike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts