Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! So I'm going to be selling my current bike and hoping to get a new bike over the winter, or maybe in the spring. I've decided to make the jump to a cruiser which I've never owned before but at this point in my life, I think it's what I want and my wife is really interested in riding with me if I get one (she's never been interested before). So here's a few quick things to bring you up to speed on my background. I grew up riding motocross style dirt bikes, then rode a DRZ400 for years on/off road. For the past few years I've been riding an '84 Suzuki GS850G which is a fun little bike but not really what I want at this point.
I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, about 230 lbs. The GS is a little tight, but never had any comfort issues. My rides are almost always less than an hour at a time.

SO, the big question is about the bikes I'm looking at. I'm really liking the mid 2000's Suzuki M50 and it's in my price range 2-3k around here. My concern is size, I think I'll fit ok, maybe with some different bars/risers. But it's only 800cc and I think I saw 54hp. My GS850 cranks out mid 70's for HP. Am I gonna be disappointed? I know a V-twin has different delivery than the 4cyl I'm used to so any insight there is welcomed. I checked out the bike on Cycle-Ergo and I think my fit would actually be ok, I was looking at Honda Shadow 1100's and I think the M50 looks more comfy.

Obviously I'd sit on some before I actually purchased but I don't want to get my heart set on something that I'm going to be immediately disappointed in. Thoughts?

BTW - I'm not a Suzuki fanboy, just seems to be what I gravitate towards with the exception of my old YZ125. :smile_big:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I hesitate to recommend a bike to anyone -- heck, what you like in a bike is almost as individualized as what you like in a spouse! But I'll say I am in love with my recently-acquired '08 C50, which is essentially the same as the M50. Yes, there are bigger, more powerful bikes out there, but I am 5'10", 205 lbs., my wife won't ride (and won't agree to my finding a girlfriend who will!), and I find the power, room and comfort to be just about all I could ask for. Unlike some 4-cylinder 750-800 cc machines I have ridden in the past, it never feels like it might get away from me -- the power delivery is smooth and strong, plenty to lead the pack away from any stoplight, but controllable and reliable. The torque is simply wonderful -- it's hard for me to stall, even when I've tried, and has never stalled when I wasn't trying. On the highway downshifting is rarely required for any sort of passing unless you're behind a 25 mph tractor -- just roll on the throttle in 5th gear and I'm gone, 45 to 70 in a heartbeat. Roll-on at 70 and you're passing 85 before you know it. I like travelling light, but with saddlebags and a curved rear luggage rack I can load it down with an extravagant amount of stuff and be comfortably equipped for a weeklong ride, with no perceptible degradation in performance. So far the gas mileage has averaged between 45 and 50 mpg and, well -- I am just happy as can be with it!

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
For me the dividing line was 500 pounds, or close to it. My older 1100cc Yamahas are 555 pounds.
I would put cruisers in two categories: Sport cruisers, and super cruisers like the big Harleys and Gold Wings. The super cruisers are too heavy for me, and I do not and will not ride a tank. I will let the big bike riders defend them.
In the sport cruisers there are plenty to chose from. I bought an older Triumph Trophy 900. It weighs under 500 pounds, makes about 98 horsepower, and handles great.
It is not a good sport bike, but if you have never been on a good sport bike at speed, you will think it is.
The Triumph Trophy also comes with an 1180cc engine. They are reasonably priced used, and are great bikes, with great reviews.

I paid $2,700.00 for my 96. UK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hesitate to recommend a bike to anyone -- heck, what you like in a bike is almost as individualized as what you like in a spouse! But I'll say I am in love with my recently-acquired '08 C50, which is essentially the same as the M50. Yes, there are bigger, more powerful bikes out there, but I am 5'10", 205 lbs., my wife won't ride (and won't agree to my finding a girlfriend who will!), and I find the power, room and comfort to be just about all I could ask for. Unlike some 4-cylinder 750-800 cc machines I have ridden in the past, it never feels like it might get away from me -- the power delivery is smooth and strong, plenty to lead the pack away from any stoplight, but controllable and reliable. The torque is simply wonderful -- it's hard for me to stall, even when I've tried, and has never stalled when I wasn't trying. On the highway downshifting is rarely required for any sort of passing unless you're behind a 25 mph tractor -- just roll on the throttle in 5th gear and I'm gone, 45 to 70 in a heartbeat. Roll-on at 70 and you're passing 85 before you know it. I like travelling light, but with saddlebags and a curved rear luggage rack I can load it down with an extravagant amount of stuff and be comfortably equipped for a weeklong ride, with no perceptible degradation in performance. So far the gas mileage has averaged between 45 and 50 mpg and, well -- I am just happy as can be with it!
This is good info. I realize how individual bikes are so I also hesitate to make recommendations. But, this was a good place to start. I'm just not used to the tourquey lower RPM bikes like this. I'm used to spinning 9,000 RPM's and getting there fast. That being said, I'm not a speed seeker. Just want don't wanna feel sluggish. Doesn't sound like I would with this. 2up riding will probably only be occasionally so mostly it'll be me riding to work and cruising around. Guess I should go sit on one next!

Also, Unkle Krusty - thanks, I'll check out the triumph also. Haven't seen any pop up in the used market but then again, I wasn't looking for them either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts