Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want you guys to look this over and see what you think. This one from a KO CB 750 about stopped me in my tracks. It was at the All Ohio vintage bike show.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Did it come off Ironman's bike for that price?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at it really close. I think that the decal has been cleared over. Also, it appears that a piece of tape might have been on the underside.

So,in essence, the NOS might just be a decent repaint. Come to think of it, the seller said he was selling it for a friend. The perfect excuse to deny knowledge that this is a repaint instead of NOS.

Most Honda tanks had a base coat and a color coat of candy that often faded with time. I bought a brown early 750 tank, and the color on the underside [the base color] was green. The decals on OEM were not painted over but the decal on this tank in the picture looks too shiny as if it was cleared over.

That high price had me fooled into thinking it was original at the time. Also,what are the odds the tank would be sitting on a cardboard box that had been used to pattern a spray gun??? Sure looks like base/clear to me.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
"Also,what are the odds the tank would be sitting on a cardboard box that had been used to pattern a spray gun???"

That's what caught my eye right off.

I don't know anything about older Japanese bikes, but I also agree with Critter. Even if it WAS NOS I wouldn't pay that for it even if it said Harley on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know someone that sold a brand new tank just like that a year ago for close to the same price. Right now there are several suzuki gt 380 tanks on ebay for $1499

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd rather buy 3-4 bikes that need a little TLC, than buy that tank. Really not worth the $ IMO.

And you all brought up valid points, especially the wear in the mounting cups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts