Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The closer one looks at this, the worse it appears.
The collapse of Norton Motorcycles - RevZilla

Not just the usual failing to pay suppliers, and taxes, but also taking deposits on machines they had no hope of building and even stripping bikes brought in for warranty service in order to build new bikes. Complicity by the British govt. and the motorcycle press.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
A familiar program, been done before. There are a few books on the rise and fall of the British motorcycle business. Shooting Star is one. The new Triumph plan seems to be well thought out. The Norton guys tried to re live past glories at the IOM, and had limited choice of bikes. Soon I will be back on what has been referred to as the star of the show. The nineties 900cc Triumph triple. Mine is a 96. I would not buy one of the newer Nortons. Never again I have been saying for many years, and I was dedicated. My dad rode a Norton. I new guys that raced Manx Nortons back in the day. I sat and watched Manx Nortons being taken apart and put back together when I was 12. I was in the pits with those fifties Norton bikes, and was introduced to those early riders on Matchless, AJS 7R and others. My dad did not come to my rugby games, but he did take us to the races.

UK

·
Registered
207 Posts
My cousin had a blue Norton Commando & when I was about 15 I'd walk around it & stare at it. Then a guy at high school got one just like it. I applied for a loan to buy a really nice, black used one a few years later & was denied. I was obsessed with those for decades. Sad to see Norton go. Oh, I can't forget those Norton girls in motorcycle magazines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts