Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had and been riding my first bike for 2 weeks now. First week everything fine and now the past couple days the engine cuts out on a hill. Its the same hill and part of hill everytime.

When it happens im generallly slowing down as a car in front brakes. When i slow down its to probably around 5mph and in 3rd gear. When I try to give it more gas the revs just drop and then it dies :confused:

Is it a case of me going too slow for the gear? I cant remember how i tackled it the other week haha. Other hills when im stopped it starts off fine from 1st gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
3rd gear at 5mph is way too slow. You are lugging the engine. I didn't see what bike you have but with mine I'd be in 1st gear at that speed.

Edit: Dang Dods you type faster than my hunt and peck one finger reply.:D

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
When I'm traveling at 5 MPH, I'm generally in First Gear.

That's AWFUL slow for Third Gear, which I'm in from 30 MPH to just below 40 MPH!!

Getting used to your motor and its behavior and sound, is something that comes with experience.

Typically, I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at 20 MPH; 2nd to 3rd at 30 MPH, and so on. Downshifting (whether getting ahead of the speed and letting the engine revs slow me down, or dropping a couple of gears and waiting til I'm in the speed range per above, before I let the clutch out) is a personal preference thing; but you want to leave yourself enough torque to move that bike as needed however.

-Soupy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies ill do that , I must have been doing that in the first week but all of a sudden It's like ive forgotten how to ride at that bit. I have a Lexmoto arrow 125 for now, something cheep and cheerful to get me to work and back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also my second gear slips into neutral sometimes which is really annoying and freaks me out ha, is this normal for a new bike?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Missing 2nd gear is a common problem when getting used to a new bike......I've done it a few times myself. (Embarrassing).

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Also my second gear slips into neutral sometimes which is really annoying and freaks me out ha, is this normal for a new bike?
Do you mean it is solidly in 2nd gear, moving along, and pops into neutral or you fail to get it past neutral and into second when you are shifting? There's a big difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It goes into 2nd gear but then drops down, Could i be letting the clutch out to soon before the 'click' maybe? Although on the gear indicator it does say 2

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The description of what is happening doesn't make sense to me.

Do you mean that you shift, let out the clutch, ride in second gear for a while, then it pops back into neutral by itself?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
no that is not normal

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It IS possible, to believe you are "fully" in 2nd gear, (even the idiot light will tell you that you are) and NOT be fully engaged in that gear.

I've done it myself!

All it takes is a soft and quick pull up with your toe, (after all.......when in that circumstance, we are typically thinking about getting up into at LEAST third gear for most driving situations) that doesn't snap the gear all the way in.

That said, there MAY be some bike models out there that are more or less sensitive to this.

-Soupy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh right, it seems silly that the indicator would say you are when you are not. So this should be something that will get better the more I ride and get used to the bike? As like you said earlier it's very embarrasing, especially when car drivers have a look when the bike is screaming haha

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Twisting the throttle (in the mistaken belief that I am in gear) and reving the HECK outa the engine, without doing more than coasting along, IS embarrassing for SURE! (lol).

I usually over-compensate when that happens, by torquing away like a storm trooper (speed shifting so fast that I likely could wheelie the bike if I wanted).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
I suspect being a newbie that you are being too gentle with your shifting. Slam that sucker in gear. That's one reason I like a heel/toe shifter. I stomp on that thing. Well let's put it this way, it looks like I am and it darn sure is more positive shift than just wiggling your toe to shift.

Now it is possible the bike needs an adjustment but I'd first make sure you are truly shifting positive. If in doubt, double shift. That would just put you in 3rd gear but would sure tell you whether you are truly shifting or not. If your rpm's are sufficiently high a double shift would be nothing. But my guess is you are being to gentle. Practice practice practice. That's the only way you'll learn.

But if it is really popping out out that needs to be addressed. NOW! Not later. Or double shift to be safe until you can get it corrected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suspect being a newbie that you are being too gentle with your shifting. Slam that sucker in gear. That's one reason I like a heel/toe shifter. I stomp on that thing. Well let's put it this way, it looks like I am and it darn sure is more positive shift than just wiggling your toe to shift.

Now it is possible the bike needs an adjustment but I'd first make sure you are truly shifting positive. If in doubt, double shift. That would just put you in 3rd gear but would sure tell you whether you are truly shifting or not. If your rpm's are sufficiently high a double shift would be nothing. But my guess is you are being to gentle. Practice practice practice. That's the only way you'll learn.

But if it is really popping out out that needs to be addressed. NOW! Not later. Or double shift to be safe until you can get it corrected.
I guess i could be being light on it, I kinda just roll my foot upwards (if that makes sense). Unfortunatley I do ride in soft top shoes(fabric on top) so could that contribute? I generally change at around 8k revs.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
I guess i could be being light on it, I kinda just roll my foot upwards (if that makes sense). Unfortunatley I do ride in soft top shoes(fabric on top) so could that contribute? I generally change at around 8k revs.
Sure it could in that you feel it more so are probably way soft on the shift. You really do need proper riding gear which is could footwear. I won't say which kind because there is such a wide choice. But most motorcycle boots have extra leather in the toe area for just this reason. I think we've found your problem. So until you get good footwear, pull up hard on that sucker. Slam it it.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts