Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
good day folks!
i have come across a problem with a cb500 from 2000 and it worries me very much. i plan to take the transmission apart but before i do that i would like to hear your thoughts on this.

here are the symptoms:

when shifting gears while the bike remains still and engine is running, if i push the gear pedal very slowly from neutral to 1st or 2nd, and just before the shift happens, i hear teeth grinding and the pedal starts vibrating fast but nothing excessive.
before this issue happened, it was either in one gear or the other as with most other bikes, but now there is a very short 'transition zone' of grinding and gear pedal shaking just before the gears and it feels slightly hesitant and more noisy going into 1st and 2nd.

if i place the bike on main stand, pull the clutch and switch to 1st or 2nd gear while still keeping the clutch in, the rear wheel spins, and i can't remember if it used to do this as i have never put it in gear while it was on main stand before.

hope one of you can shine some light to all of this,
thank you

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Question: Assuming (I believe this bike is....) this bike is a Chain Drive, I'll ask the obvious.......what's the condition of the Chain; tension of the Chain?

-soupy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chain drive that's correct. it's almost new with just 250 miles of use, and the tension is as specified in the manual with a slack of about 1.4 inches.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Ok, so the Chain is in good shape and has proper tension......
Have you examined the sprocket teeth, to see THEIR condition (both sprockets)??

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
I must be missing something. Why are you trying to change gears slowly. Just change gears quickly. If I try slowly on mine it will grind too. Is the clutch adjusted properly? How much freeplay does it have? It may not be fully disengaging. Or like I said, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i never change gears slowly, just recently i noticed the gears being more noisy, even for a quick gear change you get to hear a fracture of the grinding noise and the shaking gear pedal, changing it slowly is just to provoke the symptom. there's enough freeplay about 0.6 inches according to the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem when changing from 1st to 2nd. I own a Honda CBF 500 2005 and 4500 Km.
I have tried different clutch leaver play and there is small difference when engine hot or cold. ex: when engine hot and the play is a little bigger there is no grinding but problems when engine cold.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The gear system in a motorcycle is a nightmare with bells and whistles.

All machines shake and shimmy, even new ones, you just can't feel them as much. ripping into a tranny because you have a little buzz going on is not what I would call a good cheap solution.
Try some fixes first...put in some STP, maybe the chain is too tight, try a different oil. see if your rear wheel drive sprocket is tight. look for loose motor mounts. Then if the problem gets worse, or is still bothering you, get another engine(thats better than being without a ride while you rebuild it) and build it the way you want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts