Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a new to me 2004 Honda VT750C with 10k on it, and I was wondering is it normal to hear the rockers/valves on the engine at idle speed when the engine is cold? I have only had a honda rebel 250 before now, so i think it may just be me. It is constant and goes away after I have been riding it for a while. Just want to know if I should worry or not. Thanks!

I have a video of it here. You can barely hear it.
youtu.be/lzycJESk-Yc

· Banned
58 Posts
Some bikes will have more valve train noise than others. I've had bikes that were quiet as a mouse, and I've had bikes that sounded like a diesel half the time. Depends alot on how they are designed. I have never once adjusted any valves and never had a problem either. Bad thing is, without actually hearing it in person, we can't give much advice. One persons loud is another persons normal.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
Hello All,
I have a new to me 2004 Honda VT750C with 10k on it, and I was wondering is it normal to hear the rockers/valves on the engine at idle speed when the engine is cold?
No.

I agree with Dodsfall, check the valve lash.
If you find too much clearance you've probably found the problem.
That bike uses rocker arms with screw type adjusters. They require attention periodically.

After that it gets more complex. Camshaft condition, oil pump output and condition would be the next items to check.

· Banned
58 Posts
You guys can't be serious. You're saying you have never heard more valve noise on any of your motorcycles when you first started it up and the engine was cold? Really?

Well, I guess if you have retardedly loud pipes...maybe.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it is normal, just wanting opinions, I have a youtube link above that shows the sound a little bit. It has stock honda pipes, so the pipes are very quiet. Trying to listen to it I can actually hear it on the 250, but It is more quiet, but then again it is smaller. Any shadow owners, does your bike sound the same?

· Banned
58 Posts
I had a 750 ACE about 2 years ago...did the same thing. Not horrible, just kinda there. Like many bikes I've owned or rode.
I think it is normal, just wanting opinions, I have a youtube link above that shows the sound a little bit. It has stock honda pipes, so the pipes are very quiet. Trying to listen to it I can actually hear it on the 250, but It is more quiet, but then again it is smaller. Any shadow owners, does your bike sound the same?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone, I am planning on doing all the inspections and maintenance on it that should have been done pre-10k just in case including valve clearance, It doesn't have a metallic click or anything, so i think it should be find. I will reply if they needed changing for those who are interested.

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
So is it on cold start up only and not at idle speed when the engine is cold ?
That's two different things shwhit.
Either way, I'd check the valve lash.... No kidding. :plain:
BTW, Using the correct oil viscosity is important here also.

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
Hello All,
I have a new to me 2004 Honda VT750C with 10k on it, and I was wondering is it normal to hear the rockers/valves on the engine at idle speed when the engine is cold? I have only had a honda rebel 250 before now, so i think it may just be me. It is constant and goes away after I have been riding it for a while. Just want to know if I should worry or not. Thanks!

I have a video of it here. You can barely hear it.
youtu.be/lzycJESk-Yc
Sorry, I just realized you previously stated the answer to the question I asked on my last post.
Definitely check the valve lash...

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Cam timing is a critical function of any engine. High performance or not. A valve that is too tight can overheat. A loose or tapping valve is often a happy valve, and safer than one that is too tight. Either way, too tight or too lose, they affect cam timing. having said that, if the valve is only a small amount out of adjustment, it is not cause for alarm. BUT, I would check them. If you do not know how, you are about to find out.

My SV Suzuki has ticking valves. It is a major exploration to get to them. I will do that when I park Bluzu this Autumn.

UK

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I checked the valve clearance last night, which was even more of a pain on this bike. They were all within spec(+-.001 in), only 2 of the input valves were off enough that It was worth adjusting them, which i did. It still sounds the same though. The bike runs good, so i am going to assume it is normal for now..... I will be changing the oil soon so oil viscosity should be eliminated soon.

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
Oil is very important.

The valve train component/s are the first to act up if bad, old, contaminated or even the wrong type of oil is in the engine.

If you're not sure of the oil change history with that bike......

Changing the oil sooner than later would be wise. IMHO

· Save them all!
3,973 Posts

Just listened to the video - glad you checked the valve clearance and it wasn't an issue.

Any evidence of a header leak where the pipe meets the head? I've never owned or ridden a shadow so I have no context to go on, but it could easily be normal for the bike. It really doesn't sound terrible.

Personally I would check the oil pressure with a gauge and if that was in spec while hot I wouldn't worry about it anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.