Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,271 Posts
In small town France, if you enter going to fast, a red traffic light is activated, so you have to stop.
The freeway toll gates are real slick. Their high speed trains are fast and quiet. Their nuclear power grid works.
Folks are pretty cheerful. A cheap hamburger is a delight. The word for beer in French is close enough to English, it works. UK

·
Registered
670 Posts
'That would never fly in Texas....'

Uh, they tested the idea back in the early '90s. The nondescript gray vans parked parallel to freeway that measured tailpipe smoke by laser, noise by db meter and speed.

The middle D/FW area had a speed camera set up by LTV to test a system for auto ticketing of speeders, they sent out tickets for years using it, system called ORBIS. The highest speed recorded on it was set by somebody I knew as an idiot, he went though it at 120+ mph and it triggered and they sent him a ticket over it. They would turn it off then back on to confuse people. From early '70s, it stayed up and working when they wanted for close to 20 years. People were always throwing rocks at the lens to damage it.
'

·
Registered
670 Posts
BTW make sure you check your toll charges close. Just got charged with a toll fee and the license plate picced was not the one in print on the citation, one digit was wrong. You should have heard the argument over that one, they were claiming I had a car on the toll road that had not been licensed in 4 years, the engine needs work and I am too lazy to do it.

·
Ace Tuner
3,939 Posts
The last time we drove to Dallas (been a while) the whole I-45 freeway (south of Dallas) was running 90 ~ 100+ MPH. Those radar controlled speed information devices that show your speed gave up and just started flashing Slow Down, Slow Down, Slow Down. Hilarious IMO. Our Ford rental car would only run 112 MPH.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
26,715 Posts
The last time we drove to Dallas (been a while) the whole I-45 freeway (south of Dallas) was running 90 ~ 100+ MPH. Those radar controlled speed information devices that show your speed gave up and just started flashing Slow Down, Slow Down, Slow Down. Hilarious IMO. Our Ford rental car would only run 112 MPH.

S F
Yep, but watch what happens when just one DPS officer gets on the freeway doing 55mph. It's hilarious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts