Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BMW 2003 R1200CL. The battery went dead (not riding enough) replaced battery and the blown 10 amp fuel pump fuse . Still no start. Got fire to plugs. Doesn't appear to be getting power to fuel pump. Any thoughts?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It could be that the fuel pump is bad, or the wiring to the pump is shorted. I would check to be sure it's getting current as a first step.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The first thing I would do is try to figure out what blew the fuse. If the pump motor shorted that could do it, or you could have wiring shorted.

Did the new fuse blow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be that the fuel pump is bad, or the wiring to the pump is shorted. I would check to be sure it's getting current as a first step.
I do not have current to the pump with the key on only when in the cranking mode.
What relay operates the pump does anyone know? I have had a problem with finding a service manual for this bike. BMW even told they do not have one and the owners manual doesn't have that info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing I would do is try to figure out what blew the fuse. If the pump motor shorted that could do it, or you could have wiring shorted.

Did the new fuse blow?
The new fuse did not blow. The pump has a 3 wire connection. One of the wires has to be the low fuel warning light since I do not have a fuel gauge. I am guessing that the solid brown is the common ground wire. I think the fuel pump wire is blue with a white stripe but I do not know for sure.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Do you have a VOM meter? If so determining what the wires go to is easy. First find the negative by checking resistance to frame. The low fuel wire should be open if you have fuel in the tank.
The remaining wire will be the positive to the pump motor.
The low fuel will use the same negative as the pump motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a VOM meter? If so determining what the wires go to is easy. First find the negative by checking resistance to frame. The low fuel wire should be open if you have fuel in the tank.
The remaining wire will be the positive to the pump motor.
The low fuel will use the same negative as the pump motor.
Right on. The meter registered with the wire I thought was the low fuel. I believe that there is an open circuit (no current to the fuel pump) in the wiring harness blue with white feed wire to the pump Thank you.. I will attempt to trace it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts