Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have a Suzuki GS450 and it only has spark in one of the cylinders.
the engine is in a buggy as the bike was crashed many years ago.
i have just gave the engine a full top end rebuild as one cylinder was low on comp and when she came back from the doctors it seemed a bit sluggish, on inspection i found that i had no spark to the right hand side cylinder.
i have checked both coils and they are fine and managed to get spark through both of them, the ohms readings were fine as well.
i have cleaned both points and had them tested, the mechanic said they seemed fine.
one of my mates has said that it could be the stator, i have a spare stator which i tried as well but got the same result.

any advise would be great
thanks in advance

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have switched the plug wires and it still fires on the same points but fires the opposite spark plug.
i guess this confirmed that the that the coil was not crapped out

thanks heaps

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Spark plug wires?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Your points are working and both coils are producing a spark. When you switch the plug wires the plug that wasn't working now fires, and the one that was working now does not fire. Right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, only one set of points work and one coil fires (LH cylinder)
when i swap the spark plug/coil wires over the other coil will fire but not the other one and there is still only one set of point firing.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
This would probably be easier if we were both looking at the bike in person, but since we ain't, let me make sure I understand you clearly.

The LH set of points works, and the coil fires, and you have spark in the LH cylinder, but not the RH. When you switch the wires that go from the coils to the spark plugs, (not cross them, but completely switch them,) then the RH points and coil fire, and you have spark in the RH cylinder?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I have to ask this to get it clear. Did you completely remove the plug wires and swap them or just swap one end at the coils?:confused: Sounds like a plug wire problem to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it would be great looking at it but we can onlly do what we can do.
as it sits there is no spark in the RH cylinder and no spark at the right hand points.
you are correct about the LH side all works quite well and the engine starts and surprisingly runs well but with a huge power loss as to be expected.
i swapped the wires over at the coils and turned over the engine and i got the RH side spark plug to spark but it was still only firing on the left set of points, and the LH side spark plug was not firing now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey all

i managed to find the problem. it was a faulty wire that ran from the coils back down to the points it looked fine but must of burnt out of just broke from age.

many thanks for your advise it proved to be the solution to my dramas.

thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts