Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start bike (Yamama V Star XVS 650 Classic California model) but could not. Determined that there was no spark. Checked Ignition Coils. Rear coil howed a higher resistence than the range specified. I replaced, but still no spark.

I cleaned connections and used grease for electrical components. A friend tested connections, voltage, relays, grounds... all that stuff. He also tested Kick stand switch, neutral switch, and kill switch. All were working properly.

The manual stated that the Ignitor box could only be tested trough process of elimination. The only other thing would be the coil in the engine, which I was told was far more unlikely.

My questions: Could it be the coil over the ignitor box? Also, this is a California model so it has a different CDI box than all 49 states, so where can I find aftermarket. The DYnatek doesn't make CA CDI box, but the others are 290.00 versus 500 -650.00. I cannot afford 500.00 and I really need bike. Are there any aftermarket brands that anybody knows of?

Sorry so long in explanation, I ran out of time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all I have to ask...when you try to start the bike, does it attempt to crank? Does it crank strong or does it seem weak? If it sounds strong when it is trying to crank, then try testing your pick up coil. It could be a bad pick up or as simple as a loose connection. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts