Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumped! No spark KZ440 Bobber
KZ440 no spark. Tested coil, battery, spark plugs and spark plug wires. Coil was bad. Received new coil which tested fine at 2.6 and primary at 12. Replaced coil. Still no spark. Turns over just fine. What else could it be?!? I have a condenser on the way. I still have points which were just done by a very experienced and good dude so I don’t think they need any adjustments.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had a bike that died because the resistor in the right angle cap that hooks to the spark plug opened up. That was a single, but don't neglect checking the high tension wires and connections.

I think that most electrical problems on bikes can be traced to bad grounds. Suggest you manually make the needed ground connection(s) to the ignition system, bypassing the ignition switch. You can also manually trigger the coil if the bike has points, and probably also with other ignition systems, although I would disconnect electronic ignition if I was going to play these kinds of games.

So, we added to your list:
coil ground
ignition switch
points or electronic ignition system

And although unlikely, it could be a mechanical failure. I once had an Econoline van lose spark because the distributor shaft broke in two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts