Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I took nice really nice all day rides on my Goldwing. The weather was about as perfect as it can be for riding, mid 70's and dry, even if it was a bit windy one of those days. But today its going up to 94, and even by late morning it felt too damn hot to enjoy a ride. I know I gripe about the cold all winter long, and now that it is summer here I am griping about the heat. I guess I am just a fair weather rider, but when it gets over about 92 it just seems like no fun but just endurance to be out on the bike. I plan on using my air conditioned Dodge Durango for anything outside today and probably tomorrow as well.

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
--

I wear my mesh jacket all year. Hot times is just a t-shirt underneath. The mesh seems to keep off most of the sun's rays and makes the ride tolerable, but still safe.

--

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered a new mesh jacket that I hope will serve me both as a 3 season jacket and will allow enough airflow to let me ride in hot weather. Sometimes I think the problem is the all too effective fairing on the Goldwing. But I also added Baker Wings to deflect more air onto my torso so between that and the new FirstGear jacket I am optimistic.

· Registered
857 Posts
I haven’t ridden any day since before memorial day because the warranty work on my bike seems never ending. Complete bummer, but I hate being cold while love being hot. I like it to the point where spontaneous combustion seems like a possibility, but on those days in the 40’s and 50’s, I feel like a real wuss riding in layer upon layer, shaking like an addict while folks on windshieldless Harley’s buzz by me sans helmet. I just hate the cold.

· Biker
1,891 Posts
Earlier this week I took nice really nice all day rides on my Goldwing. The weather was about as perfect as it can be for but when it gets over about 92 it just seems like no fun but just endurance to be out on the bike.

I know what ya mean Vito, between the heat an humidity, sometimes I might get out for an hours ride in the morning and then late afternoon on one of the bridge rides, a little cooler anyway. Or get up to Plant city sometimes 5 degrees cooler and 15% dryer.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
If I work in triple digit weather I'm darn sure going to play in it and do. But you are right, it isn't as fun as a nice 85º-90º day. Humidity is the killer though, not the temperature. Even a 85º day but with 90% humidity is a bummer. I suspect those that work or stay in nice air conditioned buildings have more trouble with heat than those that are out in it all the time. Even when I ride in those triple digit days I tend to stay away from the air conditioning. Opting to eat or drink in places that have outside seating. Once I cool off I want to stay that way so going inside just doesn't work for me. I will if I have to but I don't like to if there is an option.

· Loves All Motorcycles
1,268 Posts
I'm in northern IL like you and I rode both days during the weekend. I can see why you didn't! While it wasn't unbearable it also wasn't ideal. I ended up wearing less gear than I normally would just to not get heat exhaustion.

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,971 Posts
Heat don't really get to me unless gets above 94 .. Why do most of my Riding Morning and Early Evening in the FL Summers .. Will make an exception for something special ..

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I wouldn't do much riding in summer if I didn't try to ignore the heat. Try being the keyword. Trying yet another mesh jacket this year but I doubt it will make it over 100º. At 98º a few days ago I was fine while moving but boy did it get hot(ter) when I had to stop in traffic. But it might come into it's own over 100º. Doubt but will try. Again!!! :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.