Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a problem with my clutch which I think I've fixed. Now the problem is there's no resistance at the kickstart. Engine turns over and I have a spark, but the kick start goes straight down. Could this be piston rings? I don't want to take the head off and find it's something else. It's a 68 Puch 125, single two stroke.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What you are describing seems to indicate no compression. Could be rings or a hole in the top of the piston. I would see if there is a way to look at the top of the piston through the spark plug hole and run a compression test. Inspect the spark plug for signs of damage too. Good luck. With old bikes some times you have to tear them down in order to see what is going on. If you have to go to that trouble I would suggest getting the cylinder bore checked for proper tolerances and plan on a new piston and rings or whatever is necessary if you are committed to bringing the bike back to life. I almost forgot to ask, are you relying on an oil injection system or are you mixing your 2 cycle oil and gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mix the oil with the petrol. Thanks for the help, I fear it's the rings as it's happened before. Overheating for some reason as it stalled a couple of times before the clutch went and compression at the same time. I think the root cause is a carb problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good luck with it, it would probably make a good Motogiro bike. I haven't ridden a 2 stroke bike since my old Yamaha DT-250. Wish I still had it, it was a ton of fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts