Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a 1982 Kawasaki kz650 and its been sitting for 20 years. iv cleaned the carbs (not professionally), put a new battery, changed the spark plugs. and when I go to turn it over it doesn't start. There is fuel in the carbs because when I open the bottom screw fuel comes out, but the spark plugs are dry after turning it over a few times. Could it be the mufflers are blocked and there's no air flow? or a channel in the carb is blocked still? iv seen videos of people spraying starter spray in the carb out-put vents, what does that trouble shoot?

Im new to engine repair so any help is major help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carbs were completely taken apart and cleaned with carb cleaner until all parts and pins moved freely top and bottom section. The spark plugs spark and i dont know how much compression but enough to forcefully escape my thumb on it. iOk may have missed a channel in the carb thinking back

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'd recommend a gallon of carb dip. Disassemble the carb, remove all plastic or rubber parts and soak for at least the recommended period. (I generally let them sit overnight) Rinse with warm water and blow everything out with compressed air. Make sure the jets are clean by running thin fishing line or soft wire through the openings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made sure the jets were clear but looking at videos i didn't clear the path to the carb case. ill do that tonight. Also i cant find the air mixture screw on the side, do some carbs not have one? or is the idle knob the same thing?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
spark, gas, air, timing right? check and see if they have been adjusted. some people think they can do it without specs, then, if all these are right, you should be able to get it to fire.

If you can't, it might be a bad brainbox. most post 80 machines were electronic ignition controlled. brainboxes are 1. expensive, 2. impossible to troubleshoot, 3. bad until they are replaced.
call the shop, ask them if this model is prone to having ignition problems. might be gremlins in your wires.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Many times the air mixture screw is blocked by a plug or other obstruction. This is designed to keep people from enriching the fuel mixture easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts