Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had posted this a bit ago but had troubles responding to comments but I am having troubles with my 1983 Honda CB650 SC.
When I hook the bike up to the battery (which has 12.6 volts coming out of it) none of the electronics are turning on. I've checked all of the fuses including the one on the starter relay and there are no lights coming on. I had even gotten a new starter relay to see if that was the problem but it didn't change anything.
I'm not sure if the issue is being caused by one of the four wires coming out of the starter relay or not, but would highly appreciate any ideas on what people think is the issue, Thanks.

·
Biker
1,745 Posts
Hello there, No power and there are 4 wires from starter relay? I'd say 2 are quite heavy, 1 from Battery to starter relay and 1 heavy wire from relay to Starter motor, a medium size wire from Battery to power everything and a skinny wire that closes starter relay ( when you thumb the starter switch ) to send power to the starter. It could be the inside of the fuse block is pitted an corroded, that happened to my 98 Ford pick-up and I wasn't getting power to brake lights, I mean as you said, you checked fuses and btw if u see a fuse all blackened, it was a 'short circuit, if not blackened and u see the lead link opened or with a gap, it opened on overload. I'd check with a voltmeter negative to frame of bike and with sharp probe of meter, see if there is 12 volts+ in fuse block.

It just dawned on me as I was taking my pug out 4 his evening business, One wire from starter relay most likely goes to the ignition switch, THEN to the fuse block, make sure switch is good by either doing a continuity test or by seeing if voltage is present at least on 1 side of the switch and with ignition on you should have 12 volts + on both sides, then check to see if there is 12 volts+ on one of two slots for every fuse, example2 fuses 1 main, 1 for accessories so four slots, one slot ( if using buss type fuses with spade lugs ) of main should have 12 v+ on it and 1 for accessories should also have 12v+ on it DO NOT use a heavier fuse than what should be labeled, other wise more troubles than ever !

You might want to get a service manual, Clymer is pretty good, and it will or should have wiring diagram. feel free to send a personal message if u need more help.

Ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.