Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given a 98 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It only has 81 miles on it, however it has been sitting in a garage for over 11 years. This is my first bike and know next to nothing about motorcycles. What steps do I need to take to get this baby running again/ around how much will this cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm not sure about the cost, but I would recommend taking it to a mechanic to have the carbs cleaned and have him look over everything. Will also want fresh gas (drain all the old stuff out) and new oil.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The cost will depend on how much work you can do yourself and how much you will have to pay for.

The fuel system will be the biggest concern in getting the bike started. If fuel was left in the bike 11 years ago, it almost certainly has turned to varnish by now, gumming up the carbs. A tear-down and cleaning may be needed.

The battery will probably need to be replaced.

The brake fluid should be completely flushed out and replaced with new. Any air in the brake lines needs to be purged. The brake lines should be inspected for any cracking or potential weak spots.

A close inspection of the tires needs to be done. Any dryness, cracks or other anomalies warrant tire replacement.

If the bike was stored in good environmental conditions, that should be about all that is needed to get it roadworthy again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts