Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my permit last month and am interested in taking one of the Basic Rider Courses to learn as I have never gotten on a bike before.
My query: Is it possible to have a separate NJ Motorcycle License instead of the M endorsement on the license? I am going to be 21 and want the two forms of ID. The DMV says the motorcycle license is $24 and the endorsement is $18.

Wondering if anyone has one auto and one motorcycle license or if you have an auto drivers license they will only give you the endorsement.
thanks

i was going to post this in bikers and the law but since i am not yet the rider of a motorcycle i didnt think it applied. thanks friends.

·
Newbie Biker
139 Posts
As far as I know, you cannot have two operator's licenses... but I am not the lawbook... I'd say its common for them to stamp the M to your current license already. Why would you need the two forms of ID?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to have the two, clubs and bars sometimes want more than one license. Dont get me wrong if i have a beer im not gunna drive. The Dmv has two different things on the website about the license and endorsement

·
Newbie Biker
139 Posts
Cant you get a state issued ID as well as a operator's license? Or any type of card with a birthdate on it

·
Manbear
1,313 Posts
no...in NJ...if you want to ride..you HAVE to get the M endorsement.

and i have NEVER heard of a club saying a license is not good enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got two seperate id's. However I'm just 18 and I only got the learners permit for the motorcycle.

I have my regular license for a vehicle and then they sent me a seperate "license" just for the motorcycle learner's permit... not sure if they messed up or if that's what it's suppose to be. But I'm presumming once I get my motorcycle license they'll just send me a new regular car license that would have the "M" on it.

·
Malevolent Savant
2,088 Posts
Most states will only issue one (1) ID, whether it be a driver's license or state identification card. Some states; like mine - VA; will issue an additional permit card for motorcycles*. So it would seem like I have two forms of state ID, but in actuality I still only have one valid form of ID my state driver's license.

* Do not know about driver's permits because I never had a permit here. When I moved here, I just to the driver's test.

·
2,828 Posts
What ScrumDown said. The second card is an addendum to your photo drivers license.

I have heard of clubs that wanted a second form of picture id, like a student id. It's to crack down on fake Id's. No state that I know of will issue a second photo drivers license for the same reason.

·
Manbear
1,313 Posts
The 2nd should be a larger folded piece of paper. This is NOT an ID. Its just proof u have a permit. Should have your written score and a date scheduled for a road test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts