Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I bought this old beat up 2002 Ninja 250 as my first bike about 2 years ago and it ran well for a summer. Last year it had some trouble with idling and this year after sitting all winter (about 4 months) I found that it wouldn't start. I took out and cleaned my carburetors, put the bike back together, double checked all hoses and connections and put brand new gas in. The battery is super dead but even when I put jumpers on it the bike won't start but will try to turn over (won't do this unless it's hooked up to the cables) Tried a bump start and the engine did turn over but didn't respond to throttle and died immediately.

Help! I've tried everything!

I checked all of these things:
Kill switch
Ignition key
hoses and connections
Fuel is on (also tried with it on "reserve")

Please help. My goal with this bike was to not use a mechanic and do it all my self but I can't diagnose this problem :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took out the jets and air screw (then set back to 2 1/2 turns) and cleaned them with compressed air and carb cleaner. I also cleaned all the holes and crevices with carb cleaner. It was my first carb clean but I was sure to diligently clean everything and put it back together correctly.

Note: the problem was actually happening before the carb clean I just thought the cleaning would help and it didn't. maybe my post was a little misleading.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,495 Posts
Did you use a fine wire on all of the passageways, air and fuel?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
At this point, I would disassemble and soak the carb overnight in carb dip, or use an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. Spray carb cleaner often won't get everything out if there is dried fuel stuck into the crevices you can't see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts