Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to get my first sports motorcycle. I've been doing some research and narrowed my choices to 3 bikes:

new '08 kawasaki ninja 250r
used yamaha r6
used mid-90s honda cbr600

Here are my concerns that people told me about each one of these:

ninja - fun to ride for about a month, then I'll want to go up
ninja - not as comfortable to ride as cbr

r6 - a bit too powerful and fast for beginners?

cbr - not very stable at highway speeds (an ant can mess you up)

My budget is below 5 grand.
I plan on using the street bike during summer to commute and have fun on the weekends.

So far I'm leaning towards the honda. CBR owners praise it very high

Please let me know what you guys think, what are some main differences you know between these bikes or things I should watch out for

I really appreciate it

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is this your first bike ever or first sportbike? I have never ridden the '08 250R but from what people have been saying you wouldn't get bored of it anytime soon. I actually ride a '00 R6 and an '03 GSXR 600 and I am looking forward to getting a 250R (most likely next year when prices and demand settle down a bit).

Can't say anything for the CBR but the R6 (as with any sportbike) has alot of top end power. That means it's kind of squirrely for city driving and when you DO hit that powerband it's like a kick in the @$$ and the thing hauls.

But (IMO) you should be fine as long as you aren't being stupid or trying to see what the bike's limits are (Hint: they are way past your own)

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
All but the Ninja are supersports. From what I've heard, the Ninja will also beat the pants off the other bikes in the twisties. The comfort level is really dependent on the rider.

If you really want something larger than a 250, why not look for a used Ninja 500 or Katana 600? Either of those bikes will have plenty of power, and honestly, unless you're drag racing, they'll keep up with SS bikes in normal driving.

Its easy to get bitten by the "bigger is better" bug, but be sensible. Do you REALLY need over 100HP? The general consensus is that you could ride a Ninja 250 for a year and still not ride it to its abilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far guys,

To answer grappler's question, this is my first bike ever. I do not plan on racing it crazy. I just wanna be able to go reasonably fast, at highway speeds, be able to make a 2-3 hour trip without my back getting too tired, and enjoy the midnight ride in the city

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far guys,

To answer grappler's question, this is my first bike ever. I do not plan on racing it crazy. I just wanna be able to go reasonably fast, at highway speeds, be able to make a 2-3 hour trip without my back getting too tired, and enjoy the midnight ride in the city
the sportbikes aren't going to be fun for 2+ hours of riding. Ever see the guys riding with one hand on the throttle and one hand on their hip/behind their back? It's because their hand fell asleep or their back hurts and they need to stretch.

A cruiser/standard style bike would be much better suited for longer rides. They are "slow" compared to a sportie but still plenty fast for the highway and the upright position is alot more comfy.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
the sportbikes aren't going to be fun for 2+ hours of riding. Ever see the guys riding with one hand on the throttle and one hand on their hip/behind their back? It's because their hand fell asleep or their back hurts and they need to stretch.

A cruiser/standard style bike would be much better suited for longer rides. They are "slow" compared to a sportie but still plenty fast for the highway and the upright position is alot more comfy.
I agree the cruisers are designed for longer travel and could be more suitable for this type of riding, but I have a sports bike and if it is ridden correctly it can be very comfortable. Your hands wont fall asleep and your back wont hurt (unless you have a bad back and then no matter what motorcycle you get your back will hurt on a long trip). The key is to hold on with your legs and hold your body up with your abs. Doing this alleviates the pressure from your back and wrists.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WACB650,

Can you please elaborate, why do you think Honda cbr for example is not a good starter sportsbike?

Grappler:

I don't really like how the cruisers look :) I def. want a cool looking sportsbike

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The CBR & R6's are both high performance bikes, they aren't design for a beginning rider in design or performance. I have to agree with you they are the best two looking bikes on the market right now, but that is no reason to purchase one or the other. I am warning you now not to buy either of these as your first bike.
If you do a search on this site or any other motorcycle site for "crashed my new bike" or anything along those lines you will find 100's of posts from guys that bought a big sports bike as their first bike and wrecked it. Some may say these guys wrecked their bike doing stupid things and I would agree, the stupid thing they do is buy a bike they don't have the experience for.
Personally, the best advice I can give you for a first bike is go find a bike that you wouldn't mind taking it and throwing it down on the ground a couple times. Because that is what will happen to your first bike. It will be on the ground often while you learn. The parts on the CBR are the most expensive parts to replace when dropping the bike and they usually break the first time the bike is dropped. This is one of the main reasons I don't think this is a good beginners bike.
I don't mean to be mean with this post I am just watching out after fellow forum users and trying to keep people riding and happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks WACB650 and all you other guys who replied,

I will follow your advice and get a ninja 250r (maybe used) for my first sportsbike, hopefully spend less than 3 grand so i dont feel too bad when i mess it up :)

Is there anything else you'd recommend to get with this bike for a beginner (except helmet of course)? Any other final tips?

Thanks again guys

F

·
0 Posts
Thanks WACB650 and all you other guys who replied,

I will follow your advice and get a ninja 250r (maybe used) for my first sportsbike, hopefully spend less than 3 grand so i dont feel too bad when i mess it up :)

Is there anything else you'd recommend to get with this bike for a beginner (except helmet of course)? Any other final tips?

Thanks again guys
Well at least a jacket (preferably leather with pads) and leather gloves

boots would also be good and at least a good sturdy pair of jeans

If you feel like spending a bit of money on the bike you could upgrade the horn to a loud air horn if you have the money

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yeah the 600cc supersports are a bad choice for a first bike. The Ninja 250 is great. other good options are the Ninja 500 and 650, and Suzuki SV650. 650 is bigger than 600 but they have different types of engines and the 650s are better for beginners. They are also a LOT more comfortable than the supersports. I ride my Ninja 500 very long distances routinely... 1.5 hours to get to school, 1.5-3 hours to get to work depending on different factors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, the ninja would def be the best choice here. a suzu sv650 wouldnt be a bad choice if were looking to get a bike to ride for a while for when you do end up getting comfortable with riding and that way you wouldnt have spend more money on a new bike. the difference between the sv650 and lets say the cbr600 which i own, is that the cbr's are as stated before, supersports bikes, (full out crotchrockets). that is, the engine is tuned to push out higher speeds with more horsepower and performance, where as the sv650 and other street bikes are tuned down to where they dont kick as much as crotchrockets do.

R

·
0 Posts
Have you taken an MSF course yet? Because, if not, I would HIGHLY recommend that. Cruisers make great starter bikes. I started on a Virago. Great bike, low center of gravity, very easy to ride. Even though it was a 750, it was still easier for me to ride than the EX500 that we also owned at the time.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know what you do!!

Take care and ride safe :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys!

I decided to go with a black 08 kawasaki ninja 250r :))

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great forum and I'll be back as soon as I get some riding experience on my new bike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts