Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the vets have said time and time again to get a used bike as a starter bike, but I wanted to give some background and get advice before pulling the trigger on a bike from craigslist.

Went through the MRF training on a CBR250. As soon as I got the endorsement my dad who rides wanted to take me out on his Kawasaki Concours, so we wen't for a 60 mile ride while I figured out his bike. Not the best idea in retrospect (I was terrified the whole time) but I survived without dumping the bike.

I need a bike that's stable at highway speeds that I can feel confident going 75 on, but that isn't a 600rr. Even the MRF trainer told me to get a 500 - 650 bike since he said I'd want that extra power to get out of a tight spot.

I was looking at a Honda CB500F on craigslist for 4k, 5,000 miles, but other users on the form also recommended the Ninja 650 since it's a twin.

I'm planning on taking it to the MRF advanced rider course to get better while practicing some other stuff on it in the meantime.

I'm also open to other bike recommendations. What do you guys think?

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. A check of cost to insure might help you make up your mind. Also, ABS is a good idea if you can find a bike with that option.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Both are solid choices, my buddy at work has the 650 and a friend at the track has the 500. I always say buy the 500 because I wish that class of racing would come back :p.

Both are fun and not at all too powerful. If you can't pin it in a turn it is fast enough for your limits :D.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I know the vets have said time and time again to get a used bike as a starter bike
I don't consider myself a vet, but I bought new, mainly because I don't know a super lot about motorcycles, so having a new one that I knew was in great shape and had a warranty while I sorted things out, seemed like a good idea, at least for me. If I dump it, I'll take a bigger hit money wise, but it was a good trade off for me.

Buying a bike on CL probably offers more value and you won't take the depreciation hit if you drop it, but is more risky too because you don't know the history of the bike or the seller for that matter. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself on that one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i think the 650 looks better, has more power and has been around a while... so finding used parts, say, if you drop it... would probably be easier to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts