Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may know, I was unable to get the CB500F I am so in love with due to not having enough credit history. I've been scrounging around craigslist lately, and a certain white Ninja 300 caught my eye.
However, a lot of my riding will be commuting to and from work (but let's be real, when I'm not commuting, I'll be riding for pleasure on my days off). The problem with that is there is literally no way to avoid the highway where I work, I HAVE to use one of 2 highways either way.
This was the main reason why I wanted the 500.
Is the Ninja 300 too small for the highway? Is it impractical to take it on the highway?
I'm not worried in the least about anyone making fun of my engine size, I know 250s and 300s can be just as fun as the big bikes. This is the only drawback that I see, and let me tell you, I almost had some jackass intentionally run me off the highway in my car last night, so I definitely need enough power to be able to get out of harm's way if need be.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
The original 250 Ninja had enough power to keep up just fine on the interstate, so I imagine the 300 would do just fine as well.

·
8,250 Posts
The Ninja 300 will outrun the 500 you were interested in.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I commuted back and forth from work on '09 ninja 250R which required 5 miles on the interstate. Did that for 2 years all year round except snow. I also rode from Asheville, NC to Raleigh, NC and back on I40.

·
Registered
804 Posts
According to reviews I read, the 300 is turning 7,500 rpm at 70 mph. With a redline of 12,500, that's 60 percent. I don't see why it would be a problem.

For comparison, my 800cc bike turns just under 5K rpm with a redline of 8,500.

Of course, there are other factors at play, but the engine can handle the speed.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Both Ninja 250s I owned would go over 100mph and didn't take long to get there. The 300 should be slightly better.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
^This

The 2008 250R I had would reach 103 mph which is plenty fast enough for any road in the United States. An extra 50cc would be even better.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll admit I think I think I underestimated these ninjas. Kawi makes a mean bike :)
And to think I hear coworkers dissin' the ninja 500...
I guess we'll have to wait and see how the test drive goes :p

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I'll admit I think I think I underestimated these ninjas. Kawi makes a mean bike :)
The 500 Ninja is a bike I would LOVE to have. I cannot think of many bikes that would be more fun, in my opinion. :biggrin:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Why are they dissin' the 500? Are they really just bragging that their liter bikes can blow it away in a straight line? Big deal. Throw them both into twisties and see which one comes out first.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha I tend to be wary of this one's advice... He said he sold his bike because he got in too much trouble with it, and he has plenty of stories to tell about going 120 in a 60 and other various accounts of ridiculous speeding so I'm assuming that's why he's dissing the 300 and 500 :p
He's a pretty cool dude, but I'd never ride bitch with him. Scary enough riding in a car with him behind the wheel o.o

·
Registered
804 Posts
Haha I tend to be wary of this one's advice... He said he sold his bike because he got in too much trouble with it, and he has plenty of stories to tell about going 120 in a 60 and other various accounts of ridiculous speeding so I'm assuming that's why he's dissing the 300 and 500 :p
He's a pretty cool dude, but I'd never ride bitch with him. Scary enough riding in a car with him behind the wheel o.o
Not surprising. There's so much more to riding motorcycles than simply speeding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I had a blast in my MSF course and we went like 30 at most... but I am a beginner so slower speeds are more comfortable for me to begin with.
Speeding scares me anyways, after I got my first speeding ticket a few months ago :( I swear motor cops are relentless

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
So as some of you may know, I was unable to get the CB500F I am so in love with due to not having enough credit history. I've been scrounging around craigslist lately, and a certain white Ninja 300 caught my eye.
However, a lot of my riding will be commuting to and from work (but let's be real, when I'm not commuting, I'll be riding for pleasure on my days off). The problem with that is there is literally no way to avoid the highway where I work, I HAVE to use one of 2 highways either way.
This was the main reason why I wanted the 500.
Is the Ninja 300 too small for the highway? Is it impractical to take it on the highway?
I'm not worried in the least about anyone making fun of my engine size, I know 250s and 300s can be just as fun as the big bikes. This is the only drawback that I see, and let me tell you, I almost had some jackass intentionally run me off the highway in my car last night, so I definitely need enough power to be able to get out of harm's way if need be.
If it were a cruiser, I'd say "Hell no! Don't even think about putting a 300 on the highway!" because they're so heavy....you really want more power than that, if you're going on a highway. But as I understand it, "sport bikes" are much lighter, and set up differently enough in general, that your 300cc will translate better on a highway. So I'm going to say "go for it".

·
8,250 Posts
That's a good article Rob. Cycle World had a similar write up also.

I really like these little 250-390 series bikes for many reasons, like fuel mileage, reliability, ease of maintenance, light weight, lower insurance rates, performance, and much lower initial cost to purchase.

These bikes seem perfect for the new rider and seasoned one too and should be perfect for the daily commute and some weekend fun.

I was at a Powersports dealer yesterday in Springfield Missouri yesterday and got to really look the KTM 390 over real good. It is very impressive and high tech and just looks more track worthy than the other's. I have seen all of these bikes and I guess my pick would be either the Kawasaki or the Yamaha because their 2 cylinder engines for smoother operation.

When I first saw this "TYPE" of bike a few years ago, it was the then new Honda CBR 250, in red-white and blue and it was a neat LITTLE package.

All of these bikes are VERY SMALL. That can be nice if you are very small. Seriously, they look like scaled down, 3/4 size bikes.

Honda's 500 series had some serious reliability issues when the first came out as reported on various forums. I like the layout of a few of their 500's especially the one with the higher bars. I don't like clip on handlebars myself.

Be very careful Zombie and ride in a paranoid state because they really are out to get you and us, (Or it seems so)any one who rides. Your first couple of years are the most dangerous.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Rob, I do have a real name. I got it for my birthday ;)
And small is good, as long as I can fit on it. I'm not small height-wise (I'm 5'9) but I'm small everywhere else.
I've always been a fan of Honda, but I think I'm biased since I grew up on the back of one. I did hear there were a few recalls on the CB500F, which kind of scared me TBH.
I do really like the price of the 300, I guess I'll just have to see how it feels. Not much benefit in financing at a dealership and putting myself in temporary debt anyways.
And don't worry Porky, I'll ride like I'm invisible and everyone's trying to kill me. Because they probably are, whether they realize it or not. Damn cagers on their cell phones.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 300 will be less to insure as well, won't it?
I looked at the specs up close and personal and it gets up and goes just as well as the 500 I was interested in. 0-60 in about 5 seconds, 0-90 in about 14 seconds for both bikes. Better mpg, too.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts