Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Amigos,

I have a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750 I bought used a few months ago. This afternoon when I got ready to ride home, I did everything (lifted kickstand, turned on fuel, turned key in ignition, put bike into neutral and clicked engine switch to "run") then hit the starter button. There was a small click and everything went dead. The oil pressure and neutral lights, formerly illuminated, blanked out. There was not a hint of any activity from the starter. This is not a battery problem; the battery has been strong and there was absolutely nothing turning over in the least. I'm guessing a fuse? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still a newbie at this.

Here's another confusing detail. After wiggling the key and putting the kickstand up and down a few time, the oil and neutral lights illuminated again when I turned the key, indicating the bike was ready to start and getting juice. But then when I hit the starter button, again everything went dead.

Now I can't get any electrical signs of life at all.

If it's a fuse could it just be loose? Should I buy a new fuse to test the theory or are there several fuses where I could just switch them around, putting one into the slot for the main fuse, which is presumably the one on the fritz?

Gracias for your wisdom and advice.

Gary

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The battery was good a few months ago? A lot can change in that amount of time, or even overnight. Don't discount the most likely suspect.

I'm guessing it isn't a blown fuse, since electricity can't flow through them once they pop. Once they are tripped, they are done. I suppose a loose or corroded main fuse could cause this.

Top off the battery on your maintainer at 1-2 amps and test it for voltage and load before tearing into anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but ...

The battery wasn't good a few months ago, it was great this morning when I rode to work and is virtually new. So I can put it on a trickle charger, but it doesn't sound like it's lost its charge. There's seems to be just no electrical connection ....

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Agreed, I've had a formerly good battery go bad instantly at the touch of the starter button. Do a load test on the battery first.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Assuming that the terminals are nice and snug, the battery is the next step. It's best to start with the cheaper, easier stuff before tearing into things that are more expensive and time-consuming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take your advice. Try a trickle charger, make sure all the battery terminals look good. Thanks. If that doesn't do the trick I'll try the fuses.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
check all your connections especially the grounds

·
American Legion Rider
18,891 Posts
Is this even a problem anymore? It's a few days old and a lot could have transpired. I would look at the ignition switch. It tried to have a connection then everything went dead. Then messing with the switch another almost connection. Those things do go bad. That's where I would start. After confirming the battery is actually good. And the grounds. Those are very important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem Solved

Thanks everyone for your counsel. I tried charging the battery with my trickle charger and it initially seemed to be restoring juice, because the pressure and neutral lights were coming on, but the battery still wouldn't get the starter going. Just a kind of ugly, electrical sounding noise when I hit the start button. I eventually took it to a shop. They removed the battery, made sure it was holding a charge (it was) and reinstalled it. Voila, the bike started cranking again. So maybe it was just a bad connection on a terminal, although everything certainly looked okay. I appreciate the advice from those with more experience and skill in this stuff. I've only been riding a couple of years and just barely know basic maintenance, changing the oil, etc. I hope I don't have to post here often with any more problems. Happy trails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts