Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought 83 honda nighthawk 450

idles fine with no issues, but there is no snap back on the throttle t ll....cruise control t its finest.

ive tried adjusting the throttle cables at the bars but its alredy as loose as it can go.
next im gonna spry the throttle return spring with some carb clean s it looks very gummy and dirty

any other ideas., .

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Make sure that the cable is routed so there are no tight bends, at least with as little bend at possible. Also, if the return spring is gummy, that may have spread up and into the cable, so do your best to clean that, and apply some lube to the exposed cable, work the throttle, apply some lube, repeat.

Does the grip feel loose? You may need to open up the throttle grip housing and clean/lube in there too.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Remove the throttle cable completely and make sure it moves freely inside the sheath/ housing. They tend to 'fray' over time.:grin:

Sam:wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it seems that its the push cable.
without it the system works great
with it not so much. . .
i thought it was a short cable so i had an longer one made up , brand new inner, same thing...im at a loss

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOLVED - - -
the pull cable has two lock nuts, i assumed one went on the top and one on the bottom of the bracket,. . . .
i was wwrong, they both go on the bottom , . now everything works as it should. . .

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Thank you for letting us know the fix to your problem, that will help someone else with the same or similar problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts