Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Displacement is not the same as speed. My 600cc bike is probably a lot faster than your 1700cc bike. But it's not suitable for touring.
I know displacement is not the same as speed, I never said it was....my point was that even though I can go faster, I prefer to just putter along, and I really don't care if your 600cc sport bike is faster than my cruiser, as far as I'm concerned a 250cc sport bike will outrun my bike, I'm not into riding for speed

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Every place has something to offer, bless your heart. I am a yankee, yep read that as you wish. Here we go. I love to travel around just to find out what I can find locally. If I stop in some place and do not find anything familiar on the breakfast menu that I recognize I just ask the waitress. She often has a recommendation that will get me off to a good start for the day. If you have lost your sense of adventure, I pity you. You will lose out on so many pleasures that are available while you are on the road. Where I live biscuits and gravy are not the norm but are available on the menu. If I go south they become far more common and are better. If I go north they are not available but other foods are. If I go into Canada I find foods that simply do not exist in the US. Have you ever enjoyed fries that are soaked in gravy and cheese? I bet not, but they are a great food in some parts of Canada and are very good. At present I can't remember what they call them but I am ready to order them again if I see them. Maybe it is poutain but I am not sure.
When I was in Switzerland they had a dish called roesti. (pronounced rishtee) It was sort of like hash browns but was so much better that it was the main feature on many a menu with just a hint of the food it came with, like a steak as an example. The roesti was the feature and the things it came with were just there to round out the meal. I came upon a guy who was using a huge cast iron pot to make roesti, think of an independent guy making kettle corn for comparison, and I got some from him. I never had better roesti. It was great.
Hmmmmm:confused:
Not quite sure how to take your post?
OK, I am not sure if you are criticizing me? ( Hope Not)
I DO have a sense of adventure and you will note, I said that when I Lived in Pennsylvania...I did find a lot of new interesting foods I like
Bless Your Heart..Back at ya
Ed

·
Very Famous Person
9,923 Posts
--

What's your point? Do you suppose it's a common item? Wrong.

--

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Anyone can have a great time if they are open to new experiences. That is all I really have to say. I gave a couple of examples in my prior post but it was just that, examples. Get out there and enjoy your ride. If you are away from home ask the locals for recommendations. I bet you will have more fun than someone who insists on what they see at home. I spent about 4 weeks in northern Switzerland with 4 other people. We were all on an expense account so what we ate only really mattered to us as individuals, not in terms of costs. As I said in another post, I really learned to like roesti in a big way. One of the guys in the group always wanted a steak dinner for his supper and he was never satisfied. I had read travel advice on line and found out that a steak in Europe often sucks. They just do not do corn fed beef the way we do it in the US so steaks are often tough. By admitting that I knew nothing about local foods I was given suggestions that worked out very well for me. The guy with the steak every night had hardly anything positive to say about the food. He just kept ordering things that did not work with local foods. Sorry guy but you brought it on yourself.
Let me repeat it here, when you are on the road always ask about local food favorites and then try to pick from among them. You will always do better than people who insist on what they like from home.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts