Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I love to ride at night. The sun is not beating down on you. The windshield handles the bugs (2012 Gold Wing) and the cool air feels great. My rule for night riding ... leisurely pace through quiet neighborhoods, and quiet country roads.

Yes, there are "critters" but if your speed is low, you can roll over the small ones and dodge the big ones okay.

My bike is white, because I want to be seen. I could have purchased one of the more 'macho' colors, but the white bike is best for night riding.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally dont ride at night. As much as Id love to ride to work, I work nights so its not going to happen as theres too many critters who are out and about at night, especially deer.
If I smoke a deer with my car, its annoying but I'll probably be able to walk away from it. If I do the same with my bike, its a much different story.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Lol!! I usually ride in gear, unless I'm posing for pictures. I'd rather lose cloths than skin. But those bugs will always find that one patch of bare skin and hit it every single time. I've learned at an early age to keep your mouth shut on a bike, especially at night. It only took one bug stuck in the back of my throat to figure that one out!!

I like the bug zapper idea. But then people would really think I'm a *******. Though there's nothing wrong with a ******* life, my son is a total *******....

HMMM.....a Red Neck from CT.?? :confused: OK I guess its possible, never thought that much about it, Being a Genuine, Tennessee Hillbilly LOL!:icon_cool:
ED

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
HMMM.....a Red Neck from CT.?? :confused: OK I guess its possible, never thought that much about it, Being a Genuine, Tennessee Hillbilly LOL!:icon_cool:
ED
Yep, you know you are a ******* when your soup bowls used to be butter bowls, and instead of having invisible tape, the only kind of tape you can find is duct tape...When you use a chainsaw to install a kitchen door, you may be a *******....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yep, you know you are a ******* when your soup bowls used to be butter bowls, and instead of having invisible tape, the only kind of tape you can find is duct tape...When you use a chainsaw to install a kitchen door, you may be a *******....

But do you eat Fried Green Tomatoes? Fried Okra?
Love Biscuits n Gravy?
Like Buttered grits? Country Music?
Ha! Ha! LMAO!!
ED

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
But do you eat Fried Green Tomatoes? Fried Okra?
Love Biscuits n Gravy?
Like Buttered grits? Country Music?
Ha! Ha! LMAO!!
ED
Biscuits n Gravy are awesome, and I can deal with older country music from yesteryear, but the rest, well I guess this Northern ******* hasn't experienced that yet. Went down to SC 22 years ago and ordered homefries (up here they are diced up fried potatoes) and got served grits. It was a culture shock realizing that one word meant two different things in different areas. I was amazed though at the difference in attitudes from North to South. Southern hospitality hasn't changed much in 22 years has it? Cause it was awesome when I was there.

·
American Legion Rider
23,129 Posts
Biscuits n Gravy are awesome, and I can deal with older country music from yesteryear, but the rest, well I guess this Northern ******* hasn't experienced that yet. Went down to SC 22 years ago and ordered homefries (up here they are diced up fried potatoes) and got served grits. It was a culture shock realizing that one word meant two different things in different areas. I was amazed though at the difference in attitudes from North to South. Southern hospitality hasn't changed much in 22 years has it? Cause it was awesome when I was there.
I would have got caught by that too. To me fries is taters and grits is grits. PERIOD!:icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

Southern Hospitality hasn't changed.People down here are whats referred to as the "salt o' the earth", ( Good folks) If you are ever gonna be down this way give me a shout! Maybe I might not be able to get together, Maybe I can Just depends on the timing, ( I am the caregiver for my son, sometimes I hve alternates so I can get out and ride and take a break) but I can always give some good advice on local riding. Lots of folks travel down here to visit Gatlinburg, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge etc. I live about 15 minutes from there and the Smoky Mountains, I grew up here.
I admit, as far as the "HomeFries" I would have expected Potatos myself, However I would have probably ordered "Hashbrowns" instead.I dont think that would have been misunderstood,
I lived in Milton. Pennsylvania from 2002-2005.( Long story)...biggest shocker for me was there is no "Sweet Tea" up there! LMAO! When I asked for Sweet Tea", they looked at me like I had horns on my head!! LMAO! They informed me that the tea was not sweetened , however there was a sugar shaker on the table! LOL, I did however learn to really like "Red Beet Eggs" and several other things I had never had before like "Sweet Lebanon Bologna"! I actually tried to find that down here, but I never have, Weis Markets up there sold a Peanut Butter Ice cream, it was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Nothing like it down here! If I ever get back up there gonna take a cooler and some dry ice and bring some back!I never took a Liking to "Scrapple" though!
Whenever I wanted a typical Southern Breakfast, I could still go to "Cracker Barrel" up there and get a Good Southern Breakfast!
I did get to travel a little while I was up there , went to "Mystic",CT. really enjoyed that! Visited the docks and toured the old sailing ships, toured an old submarine etc. etc. fascinating stuff! Got to travel quite a bit in PA. went to Train Museum in ...Allentown or Scranton, can't remember which, went to the largest State or County fair at Bloomsburg,PA. etc. etc.That was unbelievable! I served almost 9 years in the Military some years ago and traveled a LOT,I was in more foreign countries than I care to remember ( some I woulkd rather forget, :-( LOL) and quite a few states,I admit S.C. was my favorite southern state, I could live there! was stationed near Columbia for 3 years.
I really enjoy seeing new things and experiencing new sights. Oh well, I have rambled on long enough! So, back to motorcycles how goes the riding?
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Southern hospitality hasn't changed much in 22 years has it? Cause it was awesome when I was there.
Nah, they've just perfected the ability to insult people they don't like without the receiver knowing it's an insult. Ever heard... "Well, bless your heart..."

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ridings been going good. I've gained alot of confidence in myself and my abilities. Picking up speed. I remember when I first started riding, getting passed out by cars thinking, this can't possibly be safe....Corners are getting fun. I know when I did a corner right, I come out of it with a smile on my face. Not as scared of them anymore. Learned that its easier to slow down a bit before them and that allows you to throttle through them more, which in turns makes them smoother. Not afraid of the lean anymore, because Joe took the bike and showed me just how far it can lean over and still maintain control. He said he could have gotten it even lower, but didn't want to scrape my new pegs. It does sound strange, but the faster (well not so fast you can't make the corner) you go through the corners, the better in control you feel.

For now I'm comfortable doing 50 mph. I'm not in it for speed, just want to enjoy the ride. I've never been much for highways and bikes, so you probably won't see me on a highway much with it. I still get the occasional jerk who will pass me out at 50, but as long as I keep an out incase they decide to come back over too soon, all is well.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I'm not in it for speed, just want to enjoy the ride.
I'm the same way there, even though I ride a 1700cc bike I just want to cruise around....and on the topic of night riding, I prefer it (other than I am more of a night owl than a day time kind of guy) I like the summer nights better....the biggest problem I have with night riding is the banks and such are closed so I need to do some day time riding as well.....

the bugs don't bother me too much here in the Midwest (just east of Kansas City Missouri) and even on a buggy night it's better than having to ride around all the people that "know" how to drive just oh so well (just a little bit of sarcasm there heh)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nah, they've just perfected the ability to insult people they don't like without the receiver knowing it's an insult. Ever heard... "Well, bless your heart..."
I agree:coffeescreen::coffeescreen:
OR.when talking about someone else..Bless His ( Her ) Heart!!
LMAO!!
Yep, thats a "Polite" "Southern Way" of saying He ( She) is a Dumb Ass! Or Ugly or whatever Negative description fits the bill.,etc etc.:biggrin:
Regards;)
Ed

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Southern Hospitality hasn't changed.People down here are whats referred to as the "salt o' the earth", ( Good folks) If you are ever gonna be down this way give me a shout! Maybe I might not be able to get together, Maybe I can Just depends on the timing, ( I am the caregiver for my son, sometimes I hve alternates so I can get out and ride and take a break) but I can always give some good advice on local riding. Lots of folks travel down here to visit Gatlinburg, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge etc. I live about 15 minutes from there and the Smoky Mountains, I grew up here.
I admit, as far as the "HomeFries" I would have expected Potatos myself, However I would have probably ordered "Hashbrowns" instead.I dont think that would have been misunderstood,
I lived in Milton. Pennsylvania from 2002-2005.( Long story)...biggest shocker for me was there is no "Sweet Tea" up there! LMAO! When I asked for Sweet Tea", they looked at me like I had horns on my head!! LMAO! They informed me that the tea was not sweetened , however there was a sugar shaker on the table! LOL, I did however learn to really like "Red Beet Eggs" and several other things I had never had before like "Sweet Lebanon Bologna"! I actually tried to find that down here, but I never have, Weis Markets up there sold a Peanut Butter Ice cream, it was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Nothing like it down here! If I ever get back up there gonna take a cooler and some dry ice and bring some back!I never took a Liking to "Scrapple" though!
Whenever I wanted a typical Southern Breakfast, I could still go to "Cracker Barrel" up there and get a Good Southern Breakfast!
I did get to travel a little while I was up there , went to "Mystic",CT. really enjoyed that! Visited the docks and toured the old sailing ships, toured an old submarine etc. etc. fascinating stuff! Got to travel quite a bit in PA. went to Train Museum in ...Allentown or Scranton, can't remember which, went to the largest State or County fair at Bloomsburg,PA. etc. etc.That was unbelievable! I served almost 9 years in the Military some years ago and traveled a LOT,I was in more foreign countries than I care to remember ( some I woulkd rather forget, :-( LOL) and quite a few states,I admit S.C. was my favorite southern state, I could live there! was stationed near Columbia for 3 years.
I really enjoy seeing new things and experiencing new sights. Oh well, I have rambled on long enough! So, back to motorcycles how goes the riding?
Regards
Ed
Every place has something to offer, bless your heart. I am a yankee, yep read that as you wish. Here we go. I love to travel around just to find out what I can find locally. If I stop in some place and do not find anything familiar on the breakfast menu that I recognize I just ask the waitress. She often has a recommendation that will get me off to a good start for the day. If you have lost your sense of adventure, I pity you. You will lose out on so many pleasures that are available while you are on the road. Where I live biscuits and gravy are not the norm but are available on the menu. If I go south they become far more common and are better. If I go north they are not available but other foods are. If I go into Canada I find foods that simply do not exist in the US. Have you ever enjoyed fries that are soaked in gravy and cheese? I bet not, but they are a great food in some parts of Canada and are very good. At present I can't remember what they call them but I am ready to order them again if I see them. Maybe it is poutain but I am not sure.
When I was in Switzerland they had a dish called roesti. (pronounced rishtee) It was sort of like hash browns but was so much better that it was the main feature on many a menu with just a hint of the food it came with, like a steak as an example. The roesti was the feature and the things it came with were just there to round out the meal. I came upon a guy who was using a huge cast iron pot to make roesti, think of an independent guy making kettle corn for comparison, and I got some from him. I never had better roesti. It was great.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts