Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Place your news items here folks. Someday it make grow up to be it's own forum.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C

·
0 Posts
2015 Harley Sportster 1200C vs Indian Scout

Legacy. In the annals of American motorcycling history, Harley-Davidson and Indian stand head-and-shoulders above the rest. Both forged American motorcycle culture as we know it, from coast-to-coast cannonball runs to dangerous dashes on board tracks to ripping up nigh impossible inclines. Rivalries and alliances have been forged, roots that run deep, Wrecking Crew and Jackpine Gypsies deep, deep as the dominance of Joe Petrali and the determination of Ed Kretz.

The Harley-Davidson Sportster and Indian Scout are a major part of that motorcycle legacy. It’s hard to match the Sportster’s production run. Born in 1957, it has made the cut for 58 years running now and shows no signs of slowing down. It has thrust terms like “Ironhead” and “Peanut Tank” into the biker vernacular and continues to be a favorite platform for customization for shops like Led Sled Customs and Roland Sands Design. In 2015, there’s six different versions of the Sportster available, a strong indicator of the motorcycle’s significance to Harley-Davidson.

The Indian Scout has its own storied past, many recognizing the 101 Scout as the best motorcycle Indian ever made. Produced from 1920 to 1949, its agility and handling endeared the Scout to hillclimbers and racers alike. Thanks to the land-speed record breaking exploits of Burt Munro and a little movie called “The World’s Fastest Indian," the Scout saw a resurgence in the American motorcycling psyche. You can still find 101 Scouts climbing the perilous planks of the Wall of Death sideshow thanks to daredevils like Charlie Ransom of The American Motor Drome Co. But the model lay dormant for nigh on 70 years until Polaris Industries, the new keepers of the Indian Motorcycle Co. namesake, resurrected the model last month in Sturgis.

Read full article

By Bryan Harley

C

·
0 Posts
Apple iPad Air 2 is thinner, but not much else is new

The most obvious feature of Apple’s new iPad Air 2, which the company introduced today, is exactly what you’d expect: It’s thinner than its predecessor at 0.24 inches. But the latest member of Apple's tablet lineup doesn't break a whole lot of new ground technologically.

The original iPad Air measured just 0.29 inches thick. Apple’s engineers managed to shave a touch more off by eliminating the layer of air in between each of the three layers of the display—the LCD, the touch layer, and the glass. Weight remains under one pound.

There’s also a new antireflective coating added to the display that Apple says makes it 56% less reflective than other iPads. What hasn't changed about the screen is its resolution. The iPad Air 2's Retina display is still 2048 x 1536—the same number of pixels as its predecessor.

The iPad is finally getting the Touch ID technology that has been on iPhones since the 5s. Built into the home button, Touch ID lets you unlock your device with your fingerprint. You can also use it to authorize online purchases with the company's new Apple Pay system.

The iPad Air 2 has a new 8 megapixel camera (the previous iPad Air had 5 megapixels) plus added functionality through iOS 8—including panoramic photos, plus time-lapse and slow-motion videos.The new tablets will be pre-installed with iOS 8.1, a brand-new update to iOS 8 that includes Apple Pay, brings back the popular Camera Roll, and has a beta of iCloud Photo Library.
Apple says the new processor on the iPad Air 2, the A8X, is 40% faster than the one used on the prior Air, and graphics performance is 180 times faster. There’s also 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which our testing confirms can be much faster than conventional Wi-Fi.

Read more

By Donna Tapellini

C

·
0 Posts
Apple-1 computer sold at auction for $905,000

One of the first Apple-1 computers has been sold at auction for $905,000, making it the most expensive Apple computer ever. Last year an Apple-1 was sold at auction in Germany for just under $672,000.

The computer, which went under the hammer for $750,000 at Bonham’s History of Science auction in New York Wednesday, was bought by The Henry Ford museum complex in Dearborn, Mich. The buyer's commission took the computer's total price to $905,000. “It has actually been on our collecting plan for many, many years,” Patricia Mooradian, president of The Henry Ford, told FoxNews.com. “To have this Apple-1 is very important because our collection focuses on innovation, ingenuity, and resourcefulness, which are great American traditions.”

One of the first 50 Apple computers to be made, the pristine Apple-1 was constructed in 1976 by the company’s co-founder Steve Wozniak.
“What we love about it is that it’s still operational, which is really rare,” said Mooradian. “We really feel like we got a great artifact for our collection.”
“This is a great representation of our culture’s introduction into personal computing,” she added.

According to the Apple-1 Registry run by computer expert Mike Willegas, there are only 63 surviving authentic Apple-1’s. Only 15 of the 63 are said to have been successfully operated since 2000.

Bonhams had estimated that the Apple-1 motherboard, which comes with a vintage keyboard, monitor, vintage tape-decks, power supply, and facsimile owner’s manual, would be sold for between $300,000 and $500,000.
The seller was John Anderson, founder of the AppleSiders Apple user group in Cinncinati.

Read more

By James Rogers

My Comments: No way in hell I would pay that kind of money for that, absolutely ridiculous.

C

·
0 Posts
Fake Ads on Yahoo, AOL Deliver File-Locking Malware

The nasty CryptoWall malware is making a comeback — and it's spreading via even more online ad networks. This latest in a spate of "malvertising" campaigns put CryptoWall in ads on at least 22 trusted websites, including Match.com and several Yahoo and AOL domains. Users don't have to click on the fake advertisements to become infected.

It's a double whammy for Internet users. CryptoWall is encrypting ransomware, capable of locking users out of their own personal files unless they agree to pay ransoms to the cybercriminals controlling the malware. Malvertising — spreading malware via infected ad networks — is quickly growing and can prove difficult to detect or prevent.

The CryptoWall malvertising campaign began in late September and ended around mid-October, according to Sunnyvale, California-based security company Proofpoint. (It may be linked to an earlier CryptoWall malvertising campaign.) Over three million users per day were potentially affected by the malware, Proofpoint estimated in a report.

If you visited an affected Web page and a malicious ad happened to load in your browser, an Adobe Flash script would then deliver an exploit kit, a Swiss Army knife of malware designed to seek out security flaws in your browser. If the exploit kit found a flaw, it would trigger a drive-by download to install the CryptoWall malware on your computer.

Once CryptoWall is up and running on a Windows PC, it encrypts documents on the hard drive, then notifies the user that the files are being held for ransom. Pay a fee by the deadline, and the criminals (allegedly) hand over the encryption keys, allowing you to regain access. Refuse, and your files are essentially lost. Proof point estimates that the criminals behind this latest campaign earned $25,000 per day while it was active.

"As for the unfortunate victims, payment is no guarantee that the end-user will regain access to their system, and even if they do the attacker may remain effectively in control of it, which is why security best practices generally recommend against payment and advise instead to clean the system, if possible, and if necessary recover from a clean backup," Proofpoint writes.
The full list of affected websites spans the globe: Yahoo! Finance, Fantasy and Sports; AOL; The Atlantic; the American user-content upload site 9GAG; Match.com; The Sydney Morning Herald; RealEstate.com.au; the Australian newspaper The Age; Stuff.co.nz; the French business-information site Societe.com; the Dutch video-upload site Dumpert; the Russian online-dating site Flirchi; Weatherzone Australia; Brisbane Times; RSVP Australia; The Canberra Times; the multinational city guide Time Out; The Beacon-News of Aurora, Illinois; the Mexican tech-business site Merca2.0; the Japanese auto-fan site Clicccar; iPhone for Hong Kong; and Noticias Argentinias.

Malvertising is especially effective because the websites hosting the malware can do so little to prevent it. Yahoo, Match.com and AOL were not themselves infected or compromised; instead, the malware arrived via one of the dozens of automated ad networks that instantaneously bid behind the scenes to display advertisements on each and every newly displayed Web page.

There are a couple of ways you can reduce your risk of being hit by CryptoWall. First, make sure your browser and operating system are all up to date with the latest security patches. This will make it hard for the exploit kits to find a way into your computer's defenses.

Read more

By Jill Scharr

C

·
0 Posts
2015 Indian Roadmaster Passenger Review

We’re as guilty as the rest as sometimes overlooking a vital part when reviewing a touring motorcycle – the viewpoint from a passenger’s perspective. We’re not always privy to someone who’s spent enough time riding along on the back of different bikes to provide a valid assessment, on other occasions it’s time constraints. Maybe it’s hubris and the reluctance to give up control and climb on back while another journalist rides us around. Any way you look at it, we admit our guilt.

So this time we wanted to provide a review of the 2015 Indian Roadmaster exclusively from the vantage point of the passenger. After all, this bike is built for two-up touring. Just look at that luxurious seat and backrest. For this review, I enlisted the services of my wife, Angie, who’s been privy to tagging along on the back of many bikes in my eight years as a motojournalist, from a Gold Wing to an Ultra Classic to hanging on for dear life from the tiny passenger pad of a VMax. She also rides, giving her experience as both passenger and rider.

With little surprise, the plush seat gets a big thumbs up. It’s ultra-comfortable with plenty of room side-to-side and front-to-back. After a couple hundred miles she experienced no saddle-soreness, comparing comfort levels to “riding in a car.” For her, the floorboards are positioned ideally and she didn’t notice any vibrations. Likewise, the backrest was equally comfortable and supported her back properly. She noted that on some motorcycles the armrests are so far forward it makes her feel trapped, but the ones on the Roadmaster wrap around just enough to rest her elbows without feeling enveloped by the bike. While some tourers she’s ridden passenger on have hollow spots because of speaker location, this wasn’t the case on the Roadmaster which supported her back fully. She also said the tan, leather seat was “beautiful.”

Between the front fairing, adjustable windscreen and lower leg fairings, the 2015 Indian Roadmaster provides a fantastic buffer from the wind. Of course, she’s getting the added shelter of me in front of her. In relation to the rider, she said she can’t see over my head on straightaways but could in corners and side-to-side, but that’s in part because I’m six-feet-tall and she’s five-foot-five. As for ambient noise, she didn’t notice anything out of the norm. I thought the pipes might be a little loud from the passenger seat but it wasn’t an issue. When rockin’ the 200-watt stereo system, the sound comes up from underneath so “it sounds like it’s in your helmet” and is clear unless I’m really on the pipe. The fact that volume increases automatically when you rev up helps in this regard.

One of our rides took us up to higher elevations which saw temperatures drop to 48-degrees and quickly made her a fan of the heated seats. Having her own control was a bonus because she adjusted it several times while riding. On high setting she did say it gets pretty hot, especially since she was in jeans and chaps. But she liked to turn it on high first to get the seat heated up quickly, then turn it down to low where it’s constantly comfortable. She would also tuck her hands behind me and grasp the strap between us and use the heated seat to warm her hands as well.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/155/19391/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Indian-Roadmaster-Passenger-Review.aspx
Read more

By Bryan Harley

C

·
0 Posts
Harley-Davidson Goes Electric

On June 18, 2014, Harley-Davidson shocked the motorcycle community by announcing an electric motorcycle prototype called Project LiveWire. The Project LiveWire teaser video showed a bike screaming down route 66, emitting a sound that vaguely resembled a turbine. I could barely believe what I saw, so I immediately spent time reading comments about LiveWire—naturally, the reaction was mixed. Some gave props to Harley-Davidson for thinking outside the box; others complained “this is no Harley."

The current trend for all-electric and hybrid vehicles is to assume a “quasi-futuristic,” sci-fi-infused look that pretty much leaves convention and tradition at the curb (think Nissan Leaf). Many automotive enthusiasts don’t see a lot of “soul” or “character” in these appliance vehicles. But enter Harley-Davidson, the company known for its shaking, rumbling, chrome-clad motorcycles that go beyond machinery and extend to a lifestyle. These bikes radiate tradition, heritage, and style. A Harley-Davidson is a Harley because it has a thumping, 45-degree, v-twin, air-cooled power plant breathing through pipes that emit a signature sound. Harley power must be transmitted to the rear wheel via a rubber belt, so now the company may also offer an electric bike. Really? The motorcycle community may need a little time to adjust. And as for my own curiosity about what it would be like to ride LiveWire, I had no idea I would find out just a few weeks later.

Next-generation design

The Project LiveWire engineering team uses all of the latest design, prototyping, and manufacturing expertise that Harley-Davidson developed over the last century of building v-twin motorcycles. I learned about how the LiveWire team engineered and built their ground-breaking electric bike when I talked with lead project engineer Ben Lund. Lund studied Mechanical Engineering and—as you'd expect—loves riding. He's got multiple motorcycles spanning dirt to street.

Read more

By Gavin Gear

My Comments: Not something I would purchase however, it's not bad looking for being electric.

C

·
0 Posts
OK Hog, your turn. Keep adding water and hopefully if will grown in to its own forum. lol

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's looking like Polaris has really declared war on Harley. The one thing Harley had over others was their Electric bike. That appears to be past history as Polaris is getting on board as well. Or at least looking into it.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150115006426/en/Polaris-Acquires-Electric-Motorcycle-Business-Brammo#.VLhiBJV0yM8
Yes I am absolutely certain that every motorcycle manufacture (that is smart) has at least one electric bike design on the drawing board or soon to be released.

The electric motorcycle market is gonna be HUGE especially with some of the recent tech breakthroughs that will increase both power and range of electric bikes.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I am absolutely certain that every motorcycle manufacture (that is smart) has at least one electric bike design on the drawing board or soon to be released.

The electric motorcycle market is gonna be HUGE especially with some of the recent tech breakthroughs that will increase both power and range of electric bikes.
Well that's the point. Until this little change Polaris had nothing. I'm surprised they'd even venture into that world just 2 years after introducing their version of an updated Indian. You would think they would be stretching things in the engineering/design world a little thin. I just see a possible major failure at some point. Hope not but they are really doing a lot.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The point to that press release is that it says they are actually going into production soon at their Spirit Lake plant. HD says they are not venturing into making electric bikes until the battery technology is more mature, which HD did not define. At HD it is only a research program so far.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone from California can correct me, but this may be because of California and recent law changes requiring such vehicles. Their new laws are forcing the technology really before it's ready. Especially in the battery area. They have cleaned their air by an amazing amount.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
C

·
0 Posts
I love the way some of these guys want to restrict other people from the freedom to live the way they want but yet don't want to give up their freedom. And somehow, Al Gore thinks it's OK to talk about being green and forcing it upon everyone else but then takes his personal jet, car, etc. That guy as much as he forces his beliefs on people, needs to buy a bike and tent and live in the woods with no power or running water.

And as for the $90 trillion, that money could be spent fixing our infrastructure which is in need of dire repair.

·
6,952 Posts
As Hank Williams jr sang in one of his songs, that fits the Al Bores and Nancy Pelosies of this era: "You all want us to turn down our thermostats when you're all runnin' around in jets and Cadillac's."

You see, somehow these 'enlightened' ones have determined that we, the people don't have enough sense to run our own lives and must be taken care of from cradle to grave, funded by tax dollars that only a small percentage actually pay.

Rant intended.:smiley_drinkcoffee:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 159 Posts