Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 42 years old. My father always rode a motorcycle until I was 12-13 and then sold it for quadrunners. I have practically lived on a quad while working on farms when I was young but far different from a bike. I am completing my motorcycle class in a bit and looking for a motorcycle to possible commute during the summer months. I drive 50 miles daily with all but 8 miles being interstate highway. Everything that I have read talks about starting with a 250cc motorcycle but that isn't feasible at highway speeds and maybe my thinking of commuting as a new rider isn't feasible or safe either?? However I do live in Eastern Oregon and traffic is pretty light. I have been looking at a used 2009 Yamaha Vulcan 500. 2 questions: 1/would that make a good beginning motorcycle? 2/would it make a decent commuter motorcycle? I am also a pretty big guy I am 6'4" and bounce between 250-270lbs give or take a sandwich or two. One other question: what are some other good alternatives? I like cruisers. Thank you for your comments and advice.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You should be fine with the vulcan 500. I started my experience on a 650. I'm 5'4 weighing 150 pounds. You will probably fit more comfortable on a bigger bike, but a 500 is a better choice to learn on. A 250 for your size would probably feel like a whale sucking on a tick tac....Welcome from CT by the way. Hope you enjoy the biker life....wind in your knees

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I agree, you should be fine on a 500. I'm 5' 2" and weigh "Too Much". Anyway, I started back riding on a 700 after not riding for 30 years. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm 6'0 200lb and my first bike was a 500. That was 5 years ago. Kept it for a year and got a 650.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is one of my issues-I am worried about buying a bike and then just turning around selling it for a step up a year later that I could have just started with. Thanks for your replies.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
True, but if you buy used you will probably be able to get most if not all of your money back. AND...you will hopefully have any drops or small scrapes out of your way and your next bike will stay dent/scrape free due to having all of those newby issues out of the way. Good Luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
At your age you might long for faster ride, I would go for vulcan 500 since you have quiet distance of daily drive. Or choose the most comfortable to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cruisers are not sports bikes... I'm not sure the 'start with a 250' really applies much to the category of bikes you are looking for.

I've started out with an 1100 v star. Seems to suit me fine.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am 42 years old. My father always rode a motorcycle until I was 12-13 and then sold it for quadrunners. I have practically lived on a quad while working on farms when I was young but far different from a bike. I am completing my motorcycle class in a bit and looking for a motorcycle to possible commute during the summer months. I drive 50 miles daily with all but 8 miles being interstate highway. Everything that I have read talks about starting with a 250cc motorcycle but that isn't feasible at highway speeds and maybe my thinking of commuting as a new rider isn't feasible or safe either?? However I do live in Eastern Oregon and traffic is pretty light. I have been looking at a used 2009 Yamaha Vulcan 500. 2 questions: 1/would that make a good beginning motorcycle? 2/would it make a decent commuter motorcycle? I am also a pretty big guy I am 6'4" and bounce between 250-270lbs give or take a sandwich or two. One other question: what are some other good alternatives? I like cruisers. Thank you for your comments and advice.
I have spent time on the roads near you and see no reason to avoid that Vulcan. The typical 250 or so advice is all about keeping people out of trouble until they learn to control their ride. At your size a 250 would be very small. A nice 500 or so bike might be your best choice. Definitely use the bike as a daily commuter. The more you ride the faster you will learn and familiar roads are the best place to do that. As far as other small cruisers, every bike manufacturer makes one or more of them so the possibilities are very large. I ride a Victory but as of today they do not make small bikes like you would really want as a new rider. Weight and power are a consideration with any rider and for a new rider a lighter weight with less power is a good thing. It means less life threatening acceleration and it means you can pick it back up if/when you drop it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts