Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am new to this site although not to riding. I am however very limited on mechanical knowledge and so I am hoping that someone out there can help me with information so I can get my old Yammy Tenere back on the road.

To get to the point, it will not start. When I try all I get is a rapid clicking from the starter relay. I have changed this for a new one. I have also removed and checked the starter motor by carrying out a bench test and the battery is fully charged. Still it will not start and starter relay still clicks on starting.

Any suggestions at what to try next. Please help

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It sounds like a dead battery to me too. Unloaded voltage means almost nothing when it comes to battery condition. Your voltmeter draws at most a few milli-amps. The starter relay will pull a few full amps and the starter will pull far more amps than that. What you need to know about your battery is can it maintain adequate voltage under a heavy load like your starter motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys

Thanks for all your advice. I am feeling a little sheepish right now. It was the battery as was suggested. It is totally fried.

Off out to buy a new one.

Many many thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't feel bad at all. A battery is the easiest of fixes, so be happy. You want a good laugh, read my thread entitled "I can't believe I did that" then you won't feel so bad........

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is a battery cycler that extends the life of your battery over the course of the winterizing process. It charges it and puts a load on it every once in a while to simulate use (trickle charging has been proven to extend the life of batteries).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts