Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
My name is Christian and I am both a new rider and new to the forum. I just passed my MSF and got my Utah motorcycle endorsement. Very excited. Its winter time so I will probably have to hold off on getting a bike for now since it's snow season, but I'm very excited.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
If you have an idea of the bike you want, this is a better time of year to buy than in the Spring. That said, don't buy now if you aren't sure. It would be worse to get a good deal on a bike you end up not liking than paying more for one you do want.

And....

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure most Utah riders are loving the beauty they have to ride in. Most of us just love to ride no matter what scenery we have though. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you have an idea of the bike you want, this is a better time of year to buy than in the Spring. That said, don't buy now if you aren't sure. It would be worse to get a good deal on a bike you end up not liking than paying more for one you do want.

And....

I agree, people don't want them in the winter/fall because they don't ride them right then and the whole winterization thing- so prices can be better. I hope you find one you like.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Now is the time, with cold weather and snow, to visit your local dealers and get a feel for what is available that you might want to test ride come spring.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania where we are STILL riding, nothing more than flurries so far! Congratulations on passing your test, and good luck finding the best first ride.

Take your time picking that first bike, choose wisely, start with something smaller, used, and manageable, not the biggest, baddest, WXZYR2000 world beating racer that you might want to ride eventually. What kind of bike are you interested in?

For a start look at something like a 250-300 sport bike or 250-650 cruiser or standard, tell us which ones you like and ask a lot of questions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody!
I'm going to probably get something like a Honda Rebel since I'm more comfortable on the bikes we used in the MSF course, but on the other hand I want a Honda Shadow, but it'll take longer to save up for that. I'd like to probably test drive a couple bikes first. Do dealerships normally let you test drive?

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Some dealers do and some don't. You can ask.

Now is the time to visit as many dealers as you can and sit on lots of bikes, new and used. Make sure you can get both feet on the ground, Check out the sitting position and see what feels best for you. I like the standard position, my husband likes the cruiser position. Neither of us can handle having our feet up or behind us.

I would also recommend you take your wife shopping with you. If she actually sits on some bikes and gets a little experience with them she might not be so afraid.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Welcome from Albuquerque.

You'll be looking at bikes all winter, probably buying one. Trick is to take someone along who knows a LOT about bikes to look at 'em with you, test drive them.

You want to buy a used bike from someone who loved their bike, kept it cherry, a bike that already has new tires, chain, sprocket, not the one that has problems AND worn out brakes, tires, droopy chain, etc. That person ALSO didn't change the oil, fix the broken turn signals, etc.

In other words you buy the seller, not the bike. You'll know it when you meet him/her. They're anal and will want to go over every single thing they've done to the bike since they bought it, AND show you their new (replacement) bike.

Even if it turns out to be the WRONG bike for you, you'll be able to easily re-sell it for what you paid instead of investing $1000 in new rubber, chain, brakes, etc. and THEN selling it for a loss.

Ya can't be too eager. If it's the right bike for you the seller (who loves his baby) will know it as well as you and hold off on other offers, bidding wars, etc. to see it go to a good home.

I think a year on a 250 Rebel or 250 Ninja (or equivalent) is the very best for learning how to ride. It isn't your dream bike, you'll get that bike AFTER you've learned how to ride and KNOW what you want -- a cruiser, a sport bike, a standard or vintage bike, whatever.

Oh if I had only had someone to give ME such advice...and been willing to listen to it when I started out instead of buying a wreck, then buying too powerful a sport bike, then a bike that didn't fit, and finally, 7 years later getting the right bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts