Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...I'm officially as new as they come. I bought my first bike today. 2005 Honda Rebel 250.

I wasn't having any luck finding a bike that seemed just right in town, so today I picked up a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul and drove 2 hours to check out one off of craigslist. From my limited knowledge, everything seemed great about it. Ran great, not a scratch, no leaks, etc. I did a little homework to see what red flags to look for and from my checklist I didn't even find a single thing to complain about. Woo hoo.

We load the bike on the trailer and drive it home. I get back and there's a small puddle of fuel under the bike, from what I can see leaking from one of the small black tubes that stick out. The bike won't start any more.

Now before anybody asks, yes I still had gas in the tank, kickstand up, clutch in, key turned to on, killswitch was turned to go, shifted into neutral, fuel switch on, etc.

I'm not sure what may be causing the bike not to start any more, when it was absolutely fine earlier in the day. Did the jostling of the drive slosh fuel where it shouldn't be and now something is flooded? Is it the altitude change? (We went from about 150 ft to 4,400 so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue.)

So far I've just been told to spray starter fluid under the air filter compartment. Any other ideas/help to get my new obsession running again is much appreciated!!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The battery is weak or the battery connection is loose are the most likely reasons. Try tightening the connectors a bit at the battery, and if that doesn't help, charge and test the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts