Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up everyone! Just wanted to do a quick intro. 41 year old currently living in Massachusetts. Always wanted a bike when I was younger and planned to have one by the age of 19. Things got in the way and luckily they did cause I’m sure I wouldn’t have made it with a bike in my younger years. Anyway rode my cousin’s cbr250 a couple of times over the summer and now I’ve been bitten by the bug again. Got my permit and planning on taking the MSF course in a couple of weeks. Just doing research at the moment but if I see a crazy bargain over the winter I want to be able to jump on it. I just have the classic dilemma of 600cc bike or something smaller. I was originally planning to get a 300 or 400 but all my friends continue to try to convince to at least get a 600(actually higher than that) but I wouldn’t dare go any higher than a 600. I can understand there argument and worse case scenario I can just borrow my cousin’s 250 for a month and then ease into a 600. I’m a father of 2 so I definitely would not be a risky rider trying to push the limits by any means but interested in any and every opinion. Thanks everyone!

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
That's a good bug you got bit by!
Good luck with the MSF and getting your licence.
Seems like you have the right idea, borrowing your cousin's 250 for a while.
And for the next couple of years after that, a 600 is MORE than enough.
People have toured all over the US on way less than that.
And Welcome to the forum!

P.S. Please fill in your profile so your name and location show up
to the left of each post that you make.
And feel free to add your two cents worth to any discussion on here!

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
At the top of this page, you'll see a bar with various topics you can click on.
Click on "UserCP" which stands for User Control Panel. Then on the page that comes up, on the left it will say "Your Control Panel". Fill in each of the fields over there.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Normally just a few more posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site
will open to you. This is the sites spambot control. Unfortunately it
is needed today. But you have to make 15 posts before you can post
pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege to be able to post
pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow gets around
that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

Reactions: Brugalou

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I also need a certain amount of posts for my CP to completely open up to me? Cause I don’t see anything options in my profile that allows me to add my location.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome -- am technologically challenged myself so I'm never sure how to navigate here - but I do think you have to make a few (not many) posts before it full opens up... be careful with that motorcycling virus, once you are infected there is almost no known cure -- the dang thing can lie dormant for a year or two, then zoom it's back again and you have to scratch the itch or go crazy trying to ignore it...

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Do I also need a certain amount of posts for my CP to completely open up to me? Cause I don’t see anything options in my profile that allows me to add my location.
As stated above, yes, 3 normally but I've seen rare cases where an older amount was needed. Never been able to trap the condition(user) that has the problem so I could get the administrators(owners) involved. Hopefully you won't be another.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I’ll linger around watching, researching and learning until things open up for me. ??

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
You should be good to go with that last post. Let me know if not. Maybe I can finally get the admins involved.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

What style of bike are you thinking of? I ask because, for example, a 650cc can exist as a single or a twin designed for and built into a cruising style bike, and be a low revving, relatively mild mannered thing, whereas a 650cc twin or 4cylinder built as a high revving sport bike engine can have almost twice the horsepower and be a different animal entirely. The same is true for lower cc bikes also. There are 400s out there that will go 100mph from the factory.

My personal recommendation: Start with a used bike, with classic proportions, moderate wheelbase and fork rake, less than 450lbs weight and even less if you are a physically small person, and less than 40horsepower. At the high end of this spec. this can be a machine quite capable of highway riding.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. Being 41 years of age is a lot different than a 16 year old with a new bike. Youngsters aren't known for their self control.

Whatever bike you get, you'll want something comfortable and with enough power to ride any highways in your area. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum!

What style of bike are you thinking of? I ask because, for example, a 650cc can exist as a single or a twin designed for and built into a cruising style bike, and be a low revving, relatively mild mannered thing, whereas a 650cc twin or 4cylinder built as a high revving sport bike engine can have almost twice the horsepower and be a different animal entirely. The same is true for lower cc bikes also. There are 400s out there that will go 100mph from the factory.

My personal recommendation: Start with a used bike, with classic proportions, moderate wheelbase and fork rake, less than 450lbs weight and even less if you are a physically small person, and less than 40horsepower. At the high end of this spec. this can be a machine quite capable of highway riding.
Hey Johnnyvee. I’m definitely looking to get a sports bike. I really like the R6 and I know with the power modes I can restrict some of the power while I’m getting the hang of things but that’s the 2017 model. 2008 and up GSXR models also have different modes that also do the same. I don’t want to invest in a smaller displacement when I can just borrow my cousin’s cbr250r for a month a 2 to get my bearings. I also know that the 600cc bikes power band is easier to manage than litre bikes due to high rpms needed to actually feel the torque. But I’m torn and go back and forth on what to get but I want to jump on any bargain I see over this winter.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If you're leaning towards the 600cc sport bikes any of the Japanese bikes, in good condition, would make you happy.

In reference to the 1000cc sport bikes, just like the 600's, it's all in that right wrist. Can't let either out of your control.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're leaning towards the 600cc sport bikes any of the Japanese bikes, in good condition, would make you happy.

In reference to the 1000cc sport bikes, just like the 600's, it's all in that right wrist. Can't let either out of your control.
Oh I wouldn’t dare touch anything over 600! I rode a Ducati 750 in my mid 20’s just around the block in first gear and rode the 250 a couple of times over the summer in a parking lot not over 3rd gear. So I have very little experience at the moment. All my friends keep suggesting I don’t invest in a small bike and I’m starting to agree just because most of the ones I’m looking at are more expensive than a used 600. I’m sure I’ll have a clearer perspective after I take the MSF course in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
You're starting your shopping at the right time of year. As the weather gets cooler and cooler, more bikes are going to show up in the classifieds.

Good luck paring down the list of bikes you'll soon have, to just one, "the one" you'll get. I love shopping for a new bike. I guess it's starting to spill out. I'll just shut up now. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don’t Retired Guy! I feel like an addict with no one I can talk about this just obsessing everyday. With my headphones on at home sneaking in YouTube videos of bikes while my 13 year old daughter is like “you watching motorcycle videos again???” Lol. Anyone I talk about this is either “NO! Don’t get a motorcycle they’re dangerous!” Or “don’t get a small bike you’ll regret it!”. There’s no median in my life at the moment. ??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts