Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Olivier, I'm 42 and I live in the Baltimore/DC area. I'm French and I have a motorcycle license from France but I've been living in the US for a few years and I'd like to get my license here too (and a bike).

I plan to use it for my daily commute to work, which is about 12 miles. No interstates or anything, it takes me 15-20 minutes by car depending on traffic. Even though I've had a motorcycle rider's license from France since the early 90s, due to life circumstances I've never actually owned by own bike. :-( But it looks like it's going to become a possibility pretty soon... so I thought of coming here for advice. :)

At first I thought that the Honda Grom would be great but then I'm thinking it might prove a little limited around my parts: with a max speed of 55 mph only I would be afraid of taking my usual route to work for example, which involves a two lane highway where people, well, let's just say don't abide the posted 55 mph speed limit and drive closer to 60-65. Myself included.:p I've even seen some people go way faster... So I'd have to take a slight detour, which is not a big deal, but I don't really want to have to worry about things like this whenever I get on a road...

Anyway, I thought that a Honda CB300F would be better, and would take more years before I felt the need to upgrade. So that's what I'm looking at. That being said I don't even have a helmet so if someone had any advice on that, including if someone knew of a good store in my area to go try some on, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

That's it in a nutshell. Hello everybody!:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!
The Grom looks very cute, in fact I was talking to someone a few weeks ago who had one, he loves it as the 3rd bike in his garage and it's a blast to ride but the speed is very limiting, he told me it's very hard pressed to even hit 50 on it, it's only for buzzing around on back roads. It's perfect for that though!
The DC/ Maryland area..yeah, you need some more speed for sure, I rode through there a few months ago on my way to Virginia, and I had trouble keeping up at times with my 650 cruiser :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's more like a fun, beefed up moped... kind of... I saw that you can increase the engine size to 200cc though...

MD drivers. Anyway, I've seemed to notice that a lot of people on this forum have 'older' bikes, like from the 70s or 80s. Is that correct? I dig the old-fashioned Honda CB500 quite a bit. Would that be a decent first bike? And how much do they go for used?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, keep it small and light, ogandou; you'll have more fun and learn faster. I just sold my Honda Rebel 250. It was a great bike: cheap to buy and run, easy to maintain, and very fun. Deals are easy to find on Craigslist. I got mine for $1000 and sold it three years later for $1500. I now have a Honda CB500X that I love (great bike!).

Really, any of the 250s will do the speeds you need and suit you fine. Yamaha has a nice v-twin 250 cruiser. And I really like the Suzuki(?) TU250: a great-looking bike with great reviews. Also, the dual sports like the Yamaha WT250 and the Honda 250 (can't remember the designation; why do mc manufacturers love unrememberable letters and numbers so much?) are great fun, bulletproof, and easy to learn on, I understand.

Craigslist is your friend for used bikes.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Just an awful lot will depend on your size as well but in general most people with your type of conditions to ride in prefer something in the 350+ range. But you really need to get used to riding with something on the lower end, remembering you can always get a larger bike. People have had great success with the 250 size bikes then migrate to 650+ size when they feel they want more. I'd also suggest you take a basic riders class which will introduce you to the 250 size bikes and what they can do. It would help you get they class "M" endorsement as well. And......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome!

Personally I would buy a 500cc twin, like a Suzuki GS500. Excellent bike, rock steady, light weight, great build, cheap to run, nice comfort AND plenty of power (usable torque!). Or (as it was my first bike) a Suzuki VX800 which is crankshaft drive, looks good, runs smooth with a very nice exhaust sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts