Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I come here looking for some advice, on what should I acquire, I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle or maybe a scooter, I work around the city, and sometimes I got to visit rural areas. If you can provide me with advice, about brands, prices,models, security, and what to consider when buying vehicle. Thanks in advance
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's a lot to hit on in one post. We'd need to know a lot more about your situation before we could give any real meaningful advice, like where do you live, your riding experience, how you plan on using the bike (mileage, surface street vs highway, with passenger or gear), starting budget... but I'll start with a welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, hey, thanks! yeah, I'll expand the info. I live in Panama City, Panama, I don't have any experience at all, in fact I'm still assisting to lessons, since I'm not planning to buy it right now, but I should start looking for some options, I work as an IT consultant, so I have to move a lot around the city , there aren't a lot of highways here, Panama is a small city, so I don't think mileage will be that big.

It'd be nice to be able to carry a passenger, but not mandatory.
And by now, I'm not really concerned about the budget, since I got some time to save enough money , as long as the vehicle isn't too expensive haha.

But hey, what do I know? That's why I am here :D.

Thanks for your attention.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For working around the city the storage in a scooter would be great. Also, many of these are automatics so it would take that away from the learning curve. A larger scooter 250cc or so would manage your rides outside of the city fine as well.

Then, you could move onto a motorcycle later on. Great new options are the CBR 250, Ninja 300, and CB/CBR 500. If you want something more cruiser/classic there is the Star 250, TU 250 etc.

The NC 700 from Honda makes for an interesting option. Built in storage where the fuel tank usually is would be handy for your work and the bike was designed to be beginner friendly. Available with DCT as well which is an automatic style transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Zoodles95 and distantThunder, and yeah, your assumptions are just right, just city streets and highways, also, I like the idea of an scooter to start , since I'll be needing some storage, any advices regarding safety?, what kind of safety equipment should I get besides a good helmet? And any recommendations rainy enviroments? (this is a Tropical country).

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are some great jackets which can have the liners removed to make them into a good hot weather jacket. The Olympia Airglide is an incredible jacket. Very water resistant with the appropriate liner in. You could keep the liner in your scooter and put it in the jacket if it rains.

Other people go with something like a Frog Toggs which are water proof gear to go over your other gear. Could keep a water proof jacket, pants, and boot liner in your scooter and throw them on if it rains.

Goretex boots if you want water resistence. Alpinestars makes some nice ones.

I would at least get a jacket, boots, and gloves to get yourself started.

Get decent gear. Will last quite awhile, will help minimize injury if you go down, and could be used later if you decide to get a motorcycle later on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
first bike

I am looking for my first bike too and was considering a used 250. Two reasons why I was looking at that one.

1). Smaller engine for me to get used to.
2). Seem to hold there value (i.e. I could sell it a year later for not much less than I paid)

Are winds and long distances the only down sides?

I would use my bike for short to medium term trips (probably 10 - 60 min)

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
if your on a short commute:

Just a heads up, if youve never owned a bike, most counties will offer a motorcycle rider safety course that you can take for a small fee. totally worth it. they will train you on a small bike, so you can guage what you might want based on your experiences, and they will train you how to handle a bike in emergency situations, which could end up saving your ass. you also come out with a cert that could help lower your ins. i would try that out before
you buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.