Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my first bike today (1980 Honda CM400 T) and now I need to go out an get a helmet. I do like the old fashioned style leather helmets that are brown leather with the ear flaps, but of course that won't do for proper protection. I also see hard versions of those coming out of Asia, online, but again I realize they're of terrible quality.

Any suggestions for anything like that, but more safe/modern?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
It depends on the helmet type you are looking for. Anything half helmet or 3/4 offers less protection but that seems what you want. I would go full face due to the fact that even at 15 mph your chin will grind into the pavement quite nicely. Maybe if you are more descriptive we can be of more help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wear full face arai because I don't want a cheap, uncomfortable piece of garbage, and I like my face not being covered in road rash.

·
I know you are ... but what am I?
649 Posts
Start first by trying on different makes ... if your head is Charlie Brown round it may limit the choices you have ... if it's a little more like Alien, again, you're limited ... dunno if there is a Conehead shape available ... hmmm. :eek:

Seriously - take into count what you are trying to do: meet the law requirements or give yourself the best protection you can afford.

I personally wear DOT/Snell f/f. Not the most expensive, probably not the highest rated of all out there, but the best I can do (gotta buy them 4 @ a time). Tolerable in the summer, and no problem at all in the winter. Chin guard has an anti-fog clip in the front. Venting across top and under mouth.

just found this on ridelust ... and no, i don't think i'd ever wear anything gomer looking like that.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Start first by trying on different makes ... if your head is Charlie Brown round it may limit the choices you have ... if it's a little more like Alien, again, you're limited ... dunno if there is a Conehead shape available ... hmmm. :eek:

Seriously - take into count what you are trying to do: meet the law requirements or give yourself the best protection you can afford.

I personally wear DOT/Snell f/f. Not the most expensive, probably not the highest rated of all out there, but the best I can do (gotta buy them 4 @ a time). Tolerable in the summer, and no problem at all in the winter. Chin guard has an anti-fog clip in the front. Venting across top and under mouth.

Absolutely correct. And don't be afraid to hit a dealer/independent shop to try on helmets. If you know pricing on-line you probably can be within a few dollars of that pricing at a shop if you ask. Often they are there in the first place on the lower priced helmets, like Vega and AFX. Don't be afraid of the lower priced helmets, they offer good protection too. They just don't have quite as plush interiors, top quality finish on graphics (glass smooth clear coat), or maybe not as good venting.

Try on the helmets and get one that fits pretty snug. The soft padding will seat in making the helmet loosen up. The other plus to a shop buy is that you can take the helmet home right then, put it on, watch TV for a half hour to an hour to see if it fits right. If it fits bad you will get "hot spots" where the helmet inner shell presses against your scalp hard enough to cut off the skin surface blood circulation giving a burnning sensation. You can return the helmet to the dealer for a size bigger in a day or so. We ALWAYS recommended the customer take the helmet home and try it out this way. Making a mistake with an on-line order will take a couple of weeks to sort out.

While working at a dealership I tried Shoei and Nolan helmets, but they were bad fits for my head. I finally landed with AGV for a while, then KBC, but now I'm wearing the HJC - sort of alphabet soup. The HJC fits my head shape the best so far.

·
649 Posts
Great fit tips, Markk53 ... and one thing I forgot and this may not apply to all shell sizes/pad sizes and makes/models.

When our youngest grew out of the XS helmet, we were able to put 'em into the M we had w/ S pads ... I think, typically, S - XL are the same shell, it's just a matter of different thickness of pads. This may not be the case for all manuf., tho. Sure made it easier on us not having to buy 6 helmets last year!

So ... if one brand you really like fits just a little too snug/loose and it's not a shape problem - you may can order the next size smaller/larger pad set to help.

·
649 Posts
Have never carried a new helmet home w/ try on provision at my dealership, but have no shame about walking around the store wearing it ... don't particularly care for helmet shopping in the summer, tho.:eek:

·
Banned
99 Posts
you want: full-face, vented, comfortable, good fit. name brand doesnt really matter as long as its dot & snell approved.

·
Over the Hill.....but enjoying the ride!!
265 Posts
wow there are shops that let you return your helmet? every store near here says once its bought no returns.
If there is a Cycle Gear store around you, they have a 7-day helmet exchange policy so long as it is still new. I just returned my Scorpion EXO 1000 I bought last week. just didn't like the fit and the visor didn't seal properly. Even though I worn it for a few days, they took it back and let me exchange for another brand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cost of Helmet

How much does a good helmet cost? I'm sure this is a broad question but I mean if you want the helmet to save your life.

·
Over the Hill.....but enjoying the ride!!
265 Posts
Is there a difference for Dirt bike helmets and road bike helmets? Sorry I don't know much I don't yet have a bike.
Yes, there is a difference. For street riding you want a good full face helmet, preferrably one that is Snell approved, but at a minimum DOT approved. Go into a dealer and check out the helmets, get an idea on sizing and then watch online for great deals.

Right now, Cycle Gear has a close out on Scorpion EXO 1000, which listed for over $300, right now is $99-$139 :thumbsup: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=10000&L2=10100&L3=10110&L4=&item=CGC_05-028-02-02_G&name=SCORPION_EXO-1000_Apollo_Full-Face_Motorcycle_Helmet

Depending on what you want from your helmet....like drop down sun visor, etc., you can expect to pay over $100-$600 for a good helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts