Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big Costa Del Mar fan, I've got a pair with mirror green lenses but the lens tint is an amber that makes everything look vivid with the polarization.

Do any motorcycle helmets have polarization or HD? I've searched Google to no avail, leads me to believe there are none.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you goal is to cut glare and to reduce eye fatigue.
I haven't seen any visors that have dark polarizing plastic.
I usually wear sunglasses that do that - under the visor.

The worst times are sunrise and sundown ... especially sundown.
VERY BAD in the Southwest in the desert areas - glare can be extreme.
Under those conditions I have a dark visor on my helmet, AND dark sunglasses on my face. DOUBLE protection, because the glare is so intense. I ride in So California, Arizona, and Nevada.

But you have to be careful, because immediately after sundown, the light levels will start dropping very fast. So you have to change out the glasses and visor if you are riding into night conditions. It can be a real hassle if you are on a busy freeway. Manufacturers still need better options that what's available now.

dT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you goal is to cut glare and to reduce eye fatigue.
I haven't seen any visors that have dark polarizing plastic.
I usually wear sunglasses that do that - under the visor.

The worst times are sunrise and sundown ... especially sundown.
VERY BAD in the Southwest in the desert areas - glare can be extreme.
Under those conditions I have a dark visor on my helmet, AND dark sunglasses on my face. DOUBLE protection, because the glare is so intense. I ride in So California, Arizona, and Nevada.

But you have to be careful, because immediately after sundown, the light levels will start dropping very fast. So you have to change out the glasses and visor if you are riding into night conditions. It can be a real hassle if you are on a busy freeway. Manufacturers still need better options that what's available now.

dT
I bought a cheapo $60 helmet as my first helmet (mistake #1) that came with a mirror lens. It's nice, but it's definitely not polarized. I am looking for a second helmet that has a clear lens for night riding but also has easy lens change. The Bell Qualifier is just over $100 and there is a photochromatic lens but that isn't what I'm looking for. Costa Del Mar sunglasses have spoiled me. I was in NM with my grandmother and I saw a dust devil miles away that was easily 200 feet tall, and when I took off my sunglasses I could barely see the swirls on the ground. I call them my cheater sunglasses. I would pay nearly any amount of money for a polarized face shield or HD. I did see an amber HD lens but it wasn't mirrored.

I'm surprised self darkening visors aren't available on at least the high end helmets. Maybe it won't work on a larger area like it does on glasses and sunglasses?
Like I said above, Bell has a photochromatic lens that darkens in sunlight.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
I read on avrider that cockpit glass in some aircraft is polarized and pilots are warned to not wear polarized sunglasses because the combination of the two diminishes vision to the point of being deadly.

That's probably the reason high end helmet makers do not offer polarized faceshields.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read on avrider that cockpit glass in some aircraft is polarized and pilots are warned to not wear polarized sunglasses because the combination of the two diminishes vision to the point of being deadly.

That's probably the reason high end helmet makers do not offer polarized faceshields.
Not quite. The two main windows are heat treated, and when you wear polarized glasses it makes the windows turn into rainbows. It is legal to wear polarized lenses while flying, but it gave me a headache so I switched to normal lenses.

With that said; it does not apply to motorcycle lenses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have specified: the two main windows on business jets and larger aircraft. Small general aviation planes are fine. I have a picture of me flying with my Costas that I forgot I had.

I guess I'm S.O.L., huh? I've played paintball for 13 years and I've heard people wanting polarized lenses, but there aren't any, they would be too expensive especially when the manufacturer's safety regulations state to replace the lens after an impact, which would be $20-$40 every weekend because it happens so often. Make a $200 polarized lens and it gets ruined after one shot? No one replaces lenses to manufacturer standards, but still. Could be the same reason there are no polarized face shields. Gets hit by a rock and it's done.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I MADE THE MISTAKE of buying expensive photochromic sunglasses for my MC riding. That was quite a long time ago.

For me, it's useless. It may be fine if you are walking around and using the glasses. But it was pointless on a motorcycle for roads in the Southwest. Glare on those roads is extreme ... photochromic lenses don't come CLOSE to chopping the light levels. That's why I wear a tinted visor on my helmet, and dark polarizing sunglasses on my face.

dT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I MADE THE MISTAKE of buying expensive photochromic sunglasses for my MC riding. That was quite a long time ago.

For me, it's useless. It may be fine if you are walking around and using the glasses. But it was pointless on a motorcycle for roads in the Southwest. Glare on those roads is extreme ... photochromic lenses don't come CLOSE to chopping the light levels. That's why I wear a tinted visor on my helmet, and dark polarizing sunglasses on my face.

dT
Thanks for the tip. That might be what I end up doing as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts