Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Chris and I'm from the Houston, TX area. I just started riding this year, but I've been interested in riding for about 7 years now. Back then I didn't have the cash and my wife was fanatically against it. She finally gave in some months ago.

I've just completed my MSF course and got my endorsement on my license for it. I'm now in the process of figuring out what I want. I've had some practice on my dad's Wide Glide, admittedly not a whole lot and never in any real situation.

But for sure I'm getting one before Christmas. Talking to some riders around here they say its possible to keep on riding throughout our 'winter' months sometimes, given the right gear. Plus I hear you get better deals in the winter.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
If the riding continues all year round in your area, the 'winter' deals may not be as good as farther North, but hopefully you'll find just what you want at the right price in the next month.

And....

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear you took the BRC. It's a great place to start learning some basics. Good Luck in your search for a bike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
I'm pretty far north of you but manage to ride all year except for 2 to 4 weeks depending on how brutal a winter folks north have that leaves us with snown or ice to deal with. Not bad but I do sometimes wish I'd settled a little farther south some times. But electric riding gear is the ticket.:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts

·
Visionary
4,664 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania, where we are still riding.. I rode into work in 22 degrees this morning. I am trying to at least ride into December, if possible to the true start of winter. The problem here isn't the cold, you can deal with that, but soon we will get some real snow cover and then the ice and salt that's spread to try and melt it..nope, there is clearly a non riding season here, though some years it may be short.

I've been in the Houston area few times in winter, and to be honest I have never seen weather that would stop me from riding. I know you do get some winter weather, and if you get an ice/snow storm you might need to take a few days off but it always melts quickly, right?

What kind of bike are you thinking about riding? You probably want a smaller, cheaper, used bike for your first rather than an expensive, heavy, brand new dream bike..save that for number 2, or 3, or 6.

Hello all,

My name is Chris and I'm from the Houston, TX area. I just started riding this year, but I've been interested in riding for about 7 years now. Back then I didn't have the cash and my wife was fanatically against it. She finally gave in some months ago.

I've just completed my MSF course and got my endorsement on my license for it. I'm now in the process of figuring out what I want. I've had some practice on my dad's Wide Glide, admittedly not a whole lot and never in any real situation.

But for sure I'm getting one before Christmas. Talking to some riders around here they say its possible to keep on riding throughout our 'winter' months sometimes, given the right gear. Plus I hear you get better deals in the winter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm currently looking at perhaps a Heritage or maybe a Wide Glide, but I've seen a Dyna that caught my eye. Regardless of choice it will definitely be a used bike. The Sportsters I've seen are nice but I've heard people outgrow them, sometimes pretty quick.

The Heritage is was really calls to me and if I see one I like a lot I'll probably jump on it, but I'm still flexible at the moment on style. Honestly, the Road King is what I eventually want since I'm planning on doing a lot of traveling on it, but I know that's a bit too heavy for me given my skill level.

As for our winter -- yea we do get ice/snow sometimes. I want to say last year we had one day where it was pretty tricky on the roads. It's been a few years, at least, since I've seen any significant snowfall.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Welcome from Daytona Beach.

Last time we passed through your area we thought we'd miss the city and take Farm Road 1960 around. It looked, from the map, like it was far enough out and after all it's a "farm road," right? Whew!

Both the Heritage and the Roadking are great long distance touring bikes. My wife rides a Heritage and I have a Roadking.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I agree, the Heritage or Roadking are good choices. I did a lot of miles on my old Heritage. What bike did you decide on?

BTW FM 1960 is probably the slowest road around Houston... it used to be a Farm Road way way back in the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to go with the Heritage. It had the things I was looking for -- saddle bags, good riding position, and the price wasn't too bad either.

So far I'm loving it, though it was quite a transition (in riding position) from the Wide Glide with ape hangers on it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum from here in central Illinois. This year riding in December has been no big deal. I am still seeing highs each day of 40ºF or more. Houston area should give year around riding every year in my estimation. What type of riding are you really interested in doing? Are you a spirited canyon carver or a tour rider or what else?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum from here in central Illinois. This year riding in December has been no big deal. I am still seeing highs each day of 40ºF or more. Houston area should give year around riding every year in my estimation. What type of riding are you really interested in doing? Are you a spirited canyon carver or a tour rider or what else?
Well when I first started looking at bikes I had the idea of going long distance on them to different places. I've had the option to do that in a car over the years but it never really called to me. Does on a bike though.

Not sure what you'd call that -- I guess touring. Honestly since I've started riding (and maybe this is just new rider's enthusiasm), I've been trying to ride it everywhere I can think of: corner store, around the block, grocery store, hell even just to do a couple of laps around the town. Thinking about taking it to work tomorrow since traffic has been light due to holiday week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts