Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
My daughter,23, and i,54, will be staying a few days in San Francisco on our way home to New Zealand after attending the Isle of Man TT and catching up with family in the UK.
We are keen on hiring a bike for a day ride around the area,but i am a bit concerned about navigation and this will be my first time riding on the right/wrong side of the road if you know what i mean.If i was on my own i would give it a go but with the daughter on pillion i would feel happier and safer following another bike.Her mother is also peaking out about this idea and i know she would have some peace of mind if she knew we had a guide to lead us.
I like the ride idea put forward by one of the cyclefish mtorcycle forum team which was down the coast on hwy1 then back east on 84 to Alices Restaurant for lunch then back up to SF but am open to any suggestions if we find a guide/ride leader.
So if you think you might want to take this on we will fill your bike up with gas,fill your belly with food and beverage and fill your head with tales of the TT and New Zealand.
The dates we will be in SF are the 21st of june to the 24th of june so we would be keen on the ride either the 22nd or 23rd of june.
Hope someone can help and look forward to riding with and meeting a few locals
Cheers
Gobbie1
aka..Colin

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,798 Posts
Welcome aboard Colin. I am not from nor in the SF area, but we do have some members in the area.

I think you have a solid idea.

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Gidday

Gidday Gobbie.
Riding on the wrong side in America is easier on a bike than in a car, as the controls are all the same.
Going to the IOM is on my list. Was there in 71. Peter Murphy from NZ used to go in the 50s. Where is NZ are you?
I will assume Bruce Anstey will be there.
The IOM locals will give you the info you need for getting out on the track and back, and which corners are good to watch. Signpost is a good spot.
I am on the West coast, but too far north of San Fran to be of any help.
My brother is up North.

Unkle Crusty* From Auckland and Taurunga.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey Critter and Crusty and thanks for your replys.grew up in CHCH now residing in AK.Yep,Bruce(god) Anstey 132 mph lap record holder will be there alongside Mcguiness and Guy Martin,would love to see him win one.
Was there in 2007 for the centenary.....bloody magic.Nothing can compare....if you haven't done it.....book now

·
American Legion Rider
21,127 Posts
I think you have a good idea wanting to have someone do a little guiding in the SF area. I no longer live in that area or would be happy to. The streets and hills can be a challenge just to get out of town and see the country. But I will say.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome from Southwestern PA. Sounds like a great idea, getting a local as a guide. And, if I were there, a full tank, a full belly and a cabitsing partner for the day would certainly be enough to get me out there to guide you, but alas, I am a couple thousand miles away...

Glad to have you here on the forum and good luck finding a guide/companion for you and your daughter for that ride,,,I'm sure the daddy/daughter time will be great!

3G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi 3G and thanks for the welcome.
Daughter now informs me she would rather go shopping than go for a ride.....pfffft......been in one shop ya been in em all i reckon.Unless it's a bike shop.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

Talk her out of it! Looking at stuff to buy in a store is something that can be done at home. A ride around the city and the coastline is something you will remember all the rest of your life.

--

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
AK

Where in Auckland are you Gobbie? I was in Blockhouse Bay for quite a while. Played for Suburbs in Avondale.

They probably have shops in San Fran. The Harbor is almost as good as Auckland Harbour for sailing.

You realize you will need to file reports from the IOM. There are a few road race fans here, but we are grossly outnumbered by the cruisers. I started going to the races at Mangere in the fifties. They plunked an airport on parts of the old track, which had gravel sections, and a wooden bridge over a small creek.
A cemetery was on the outside of one corner onto the main straight.
The head stones made for sudden stops.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
121 Posts
--

Talk her out of it! Looking at stuff to buy in a store is something that can be done at home. A ride around the city and the coastline is something you will remember all the rest of your life.

--
+1

It's not the things we have or the gifts that people buy us that we remember, its the memories in life that get us through the tough times. I am talking from experience...life is short and you never know if you'll have another chance to make that memory (or any other).

3G

·
American Legion Rider
21,127 Posts
Yep, dump the shopping. The shops at the wharf and Ghirredili Square are a little different but they are tourist traps. The shops downtown are the same as any boutique just about anywhere. Now a ride along the coast or going to the Japanese Tea Garden or Aquarium and riding through Napa Valley wine country and wine tasting, now you got memories. If she isn't old enough for wine tasting then there's the zoo or a boat ride to one of SF most famous(other than the bridge) landmarks, Alcatraz. Actually riding across Golden Gate will be something neither of you will soon forget. It's a little spooky.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there Hog,Crusty,3 and Ron.........yep....ya preaching to the converted fellas......i bloody hate shopping and crowds,but shes 23 and a real girly girl if you know what i mean.We have a guide now,a nice English lady from Sanoma who has volunteered to lead us/me on a ride.My girl can go shop.....i'm goin riding....on the bright side i will get to do the whole day on the bike alone.....not such a bad thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am on the Nth Shore Crusty......Glenfield.I didn't get to Auckland till 81 at the tender age of 21from Chch.....been here ever since.
happy to post up photos etc on our return from the IOM.Second trip there for me.....was there in 2007 for the centenary.........fantastic.
We have some excellent street racing here in NZ...Paeroa..270kph through the main street shops either side,Wanganui Boxing Day races Cemetary Circuit...Guy Martin has come out here the last 2 years to race at Wanganui.There is also Greymouth,Nelson Port,and Methven street racing through out the summer.Yep we have a great Road racing fraternity here and not too far to go to see some quality racing.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm on the wrong coast or I'd volunteer to keep you on the right side of the road.

BTW, I think you're taking the wrong approach on the shopping malarkey. Just tell her you're taking her out shopping when you go to rent a bike. You won't really be lying to her and she'll get over it after a while. Maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nah... i don't mind if she doesn't want to go..........then i can have a play in the twisties...........
Thanks for the welcome

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I would much rather go for a ride than shop anytime! I hope you find a great person to show you around. There is so much to see out there. One of these days I am going to make it back out there on a bike. I kind of envy you. :)

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
San Fran

I have been to San Fran by plane three times, and never bought a ticket for the place. None were scheduled stops.
Couple of friends were there getting ready for a sail boat race to Hawaii.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts