Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My names Heath, I'm 16. I'm from North Carolina. I've never ridden a bike before and I start the MSF course this Friday. I've have watched a ton of videos,read/re-read handbooks and I've sat on bikes in dealerships, so I do know how to ride a bike, but never have. I'll have all the correct clothing/gear and plan on trying my hardest. I'm a very competent person and pretty athletic so I think I'll do ok. From what I have said do you think I'll do ok? I'm a little nervous about failing or dropping the bike. Will I receive the same respect being 16? Any advice for me? Any extra help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't worry about dropping a bike. Most riders have a fair amount of practice doing that. Try not to tense up and enjoy the training. The usual tendency is to have butterflies in the stomach and sweaty palms. A few butterflies is normal and remember this is a great opportunity to learn how to ride, so relax and enjoy the ride, figuratively and literally. You are really starting out on a good foot by taking the MSF course and made a good decision to do so. Listen carefully to your instruction and ask questions you may have as you go along. A rider gains both experience and confidence as he or she gets more experience under the belt. The whole idea here is to be able to ride safely and enjoy the wonderful world of motorcycling.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Your biggest obstacle should just be your own nerves. Your approach to this is solid and well thought out. If you are patient with yourself, you will be riding with a cool-aid smile by the halfway point of the first day in class.

I seriously doubt your age will have any negative impact on how you are treated. In fact, I think it will be a positive because others will be impressed that you are taking the trouble to learn safely.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the awesome advice! You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the advice. I feel a lot better. I agree goalie, I've done everything else I can to be prepared. I'll be sure to keep calm and just try and have fun. If I pass I'll be able to get a bike next week! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Badlands beat me to my suggestion! Relax. That is the best advice aside from listening to the instructors. If you are taking the basic rider course and I hope that you are then you will be taught all the controls on the bike, how to use said controls and the best part is you get to walk the bike around the parking lot a couple of laps before they let you start the engine. This helps in 2 areas. First is with balanace and the second is so you can feel the bike under you as you are moving. If you can ride a bicycle then alot of the same applies to the motorcycle only it is bigger and powered.

Open your ears, listen to what they say and relax. Some of the stuff may seem child's play to you but it is important in the end or they would not have you do it. I also doubt age will matter much as we had a 17yr old in my Intermediate class. He had been riding dirt bikes since he was little so he skipped the basic class, I did the same thing.

Massey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts