Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. New guy to the forum.

I have a hot tip on a 1975 BMW R 90/6 that is owned by an older gentlemen. He thinking about selling because he hasn't been able to ride for four years now. He told my friend that he had shims put in to deal with the low octane gas years ago. It will need a battery he says. And I'm assuming it will need tires too. Don't know how many miles either. And a carb rebuild no doubt.

I haven't seen it myself in person. But I was invited to come have a look. It's been my experience when trying to buy something to get the deal done. Dont go there and look and leave thinking you can come back and make a deal. It will be gone. Otherwise I would get some pics to show. :)

So the big question is what is a fair price to offer. The owner won't put a price on it yet.

So any thoughts? I know it's not much to go on.

Thanks

Menessis

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only fair price is what you are willing to pay for it. You won't know that until you see it. Does it run ? Has it been wrecked ? Does it have a million miles on it ? I recently gave my previous bike to my yardman. It was a 1983 Yamaha Venture with 177k miles on it. It ran good but it was in rough condition. I offered it to him last summer for $800 but he never came after it. So this summer, I just gave it to him. If I was going to buy a bike to ride, I wouldn't even consider a 1975 anything. If I was looking for a project, then it might make a good project bike if it was cheap enough.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Look in Kelly or NADA for your area of a bike in poor condition and go up from there based on what you see. And.....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome. You need to go in understanding that you will be looking at an antique. Everything depends on condition, not miles or age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I got in to see that bike. Got a few pics but can't post them here yet.

So it has 54K miles. The chrome is in tuff shape. Seat cover is toast. Not original paint. Rust on the frame in places as well as headlight pot. Sticker on the plate shows 08. Has aftermarket exhaust. The rubber trim around the tach is splitting. And that's just what I noticed. I'm sure there is more.

So now what do you think?

Thanks
Menessis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts