Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a never-ending debate. Mostly I'm looking at used bikes, but the Suzuki dealership near me (I mean like half a mile from my house) has some 2018 GSX-250 on sale at $3k vs $4.5.k... I don't know what the rest of the charges would be and therefore the final OTD price but is it something I should seriously think about? From what I'm reading, these make great first/commuter bikes, which is what I'm looking for. Obviously a new bike might not be ideal as a first bike, but at the same time if a great deal comes around, isn't it worth taking?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
Over the years I found some new bikes at near the same price as used bikes, so there's no issue buying a new motorcycle as your first bike if the deals right and the bike fits you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid these prices are just to lure you in though... once you tag the rest of the fees it's going to be like $4.2k! That GSX250 sounds and looks great though... it'd be perfect to cover the ~8 miles to go to my office...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm afraid these prices are just to lure you in though... once you tag the rest of the fees it's going to be like $4.2k! That GSX250 sounds and looks great though... it'd be perfect to cover the ~8 miles to go to my office...
And that is an absolute truth. Often times you'll see motorcycle advertised for 3 Grand or whatever and you get there and after their fees and tax and all that other ****, yeah, it's a lot more than you anticipated. On the other hand I've had situations where people are trying to get unreal money for used motorcycles and I found for just a few dollars more I can go buy a brand new bike.

A few years ago my son wanted a motorcycle, we looked at a ton of different 250cc type motorcycles when I found a brand new Suzuki S40 (650cc) for just a few bucks more. It was a 2 year old brand bike new still in the crate. It just depends on the dealer, the bike, and your particular area on what's selling Etc.

Since it is your first motorcycle and therefore I assume you don't have a lot of experience with new vehicle purchases, keep an eye out for brand new bikes that are 2, 3 even four model years old that are still in the crate and dealers will often give you a really good deal on those. it's not like cars that they keep them for a few months and sell all of the last year's models. Motorcycles might sit in dealership for years; there's some really good deals to be had on those, especially if you're a little flexible on exactly which bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've started to kind of settle on something like that Suzuki or the Honda CB250 or 300 or the Kawasaki Ninjas 250-300 or whatever Yamaha has, either naked or faired, I don't really care (although TBH I'd prefer naked just because it'd be easier on the insurance and I don't plan on doing tons of highway/freeway riding, I mean it's half my commute at the moment but I can take a different route and even in my car I rarely do those over 55 mph anyway, and I don't know how much the fairing truly helps at those speeds...).

I'd prefer fuel injection as well (I don't necessarily want to stop riding when it gets a little cold but I don't want to fight with a choke either), but on a used bike I think my best bet is a Ninja 250 and those are carbureted I believe... I've seen a couple of used 2011-2012 CBR 250R around me for $1.5-$1.6k though, that'd probably be the most ideal (idealest? :p). The one I linked the seller had somebody come look at it today but it didn't work out... so maybe. The Repsol edition looks almost too sporty for commuting but WTH...

But basically one of the entry-level 250-300cc that the 4 big Japanese makers offer is where I'm at at the moment. I think the Suzuki is new so no chance of what you're describing. But maybe a Honda CB250? That's possible. Haven't seen one on the websites of the various dealerships around me but that's a good point, I'll look for it, thanks! I did see some similar deals (to the Suzuki) on the CB300F at $3k, but it's not as much a discount as on the Suzuki. And like I said the Suzuki dealership is right around the corner from my house...

Overall I don't see too many people riding motorcycles here in MD (and when I do often it's a Harley), not sure how it is in other states... I was back home in France in August and there are motorcycles and scooters everywhere... :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
I usually suggest a used bike as a first bike. Many people drop their first bike a few times when they're learning to ride. Doing this on a brand new bike is painful. Doing it to a used bike, that someone else has already dropped a few times, is not nearly as painful. I also suggest something less than 400cc for a first bike. Lighter, less expensive, easier to handle, easier to pick up. After a year or so, if you feel that you're ready to move up, THEN get a new bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm definitely going for a 250-300cc. I never dropped my bike during the rider safety class and didn't make a single mistake on my tests, can I get a brand new one? :p

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
You can get whatever you want, it is your money

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
Yeap! all you want

·
Biker
1,629 Posts
When I bought my first bike it was a 71 Honda SL-125, the people that had it back in mid 70's had a large back yard somewhere
in North Attleboro, Mass. I got the title and the bike for 300$. Ten or twelve years later I got what I paid for it, so aside from a
tire or battery or a little maintenance here an there it was a good deal. look in the Sunday paper.

Take the MSF test first, they might use Harley Street 500's or Honda Rebel 250's. if that bike seems like a good fit to you
and for a beginner I think it would be a good idea. U don't need to go on the hi-way just because you got your license. When you
passed 5th grade in school you did not skip 3 grades an go to 9th did you? Well same thing here. Learn how to handle that bike,
everything you learn will go towards knowing how to handle a larger bike LATER.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Just PLEASE buy something SOON---if you get any more advice, especially without taking it, your head may explode from sensory overload:smile_big:

Buy a new bike and get a warranty, which can be very important. I never dropped a bike and the bike has no idea if it's new or used:grin:

Sam:wink2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whether it's automobiles or motorcycles I always buy used. I always go for a recent model with low miles and save several thousand dollars. It's also still under warranty. If you buy it from a dealer it's even more trustworthy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Whether it's automobiles or motorcycles I always buy used. I always go for a recent model with low miles and save several thousand dollars. It's also still under warranty. If you buy it from a dealer it's even more trustworthy.

I don't agree with the dealer part. I've found that dealers take in stuff and really if it's near new/clean they put it on the floor. It could be a real piece of ****. This is especially true with cars where people are sick of dealing with them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
But a dealer will stand behind it. If they won't, don't purchase from them. And yes you can always get a lower cost from an individual

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
But a dealer will stand behind it. If they won't, don't purchase from them. And yes you can always get a lower cost from an individual

it's less the dealer standing behind it, because they usually will, and more the issue of the bike or car is just such a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have never had any problems. You just have to do a little research and find out what the bike is worth and get as low miles as possible

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went in and seen a bike, loved it then went and got it.

2004 heritage soft tail classic $3900, $4,500 with all the paperwork done. A lot of bike for not much money.
I wanted a bike the woman would be comfortable riding on.

I like my experience with a dealer, he handled the title, plates, tabs. All I did was pay cash and drive it home.
If it goes haywire he will make it right but after talking to the mechanic he knows both previous owners and had done the cam chain, new belt and tires. The whole bikes history and its good to go.

Get a bike YOU like, you dont want to regret it later. I m glad I did not get a sportster off Craigslist and have to mess with paperwork and lack of service history.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went in and seen a bike, loved it then went and got it.

2004 heritage soft tail classic $3900, $4,500 with all the paperwork done. A lot of bike for not much money.
I wanted a bike the woman would be comfortable riding on.

I like my experience with a dealer, he handled the title, plates, tabs. All I did was pay cash and drive it home.
If it goes haywire he will make it right but after talking to the mechanic he knows both previous owners and had done the cam chain, new belt and tires. The whole bikes history and its good to go.

Get a bike YOU like, you dont want to regret it later. I m glad I did not get a sportster off Craigslist and have to mess with paperwork and lack of service history.
Sounds like you did good. All of the bikes that I have purchased from individuals I found on Cycle Trader

1 - 20 of 31 Posts