Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm not a kid by any stretch, got my first bike at 18, sold my last one when I was 35. I'm 61 now. Yow!
Anyhow - a couple of years ago I decided to get myself a bike again at long last. I bought a Harley Sportster (07), fuel injection, rubber engine mounts. I really love the way the bike looks and sounds and it's comfortable enough, and it's smooth enough you can actually see in the rear view mirrors easily, but... I just don't enjoy riding it. I guess it's because at 60 it feels like it would rather not go 70.

My last bike before this was a Suzuki GS1000 from the first year they came out and I found that bike a lot more fun to ride. It was as happy going 90 or 100 as it was at 50; it felt effortless.

So - now I'm thinking maybe I should let the Sportster go and replace it with something I will enjoy riding more. Only thing is I am totally out to lunch as who makes what, there are so many bikes out there to choose from. I am hoping if I describe what I'm looking for, maybe a few people can come up with good suggestions.

1. Four cylinders and smooth running
2. Prefer not to have a 'lay on the tank' riding position, prefer something more along the lines of my Sportster or even my old GS.
3. Either a belt or shaft drive so no mess from the chain.
4. I don't have to be able to do 180 but my old GS was good for 135 anyhow, so 100 was not pushing it at all. It felt like it could do 100 all day long easily.
5. USED and affordable but not a dinosaur.
6. Fuel injection would be nice.
7. I really don't want a 650 or 700+ pound bike. My GS was right at about 500 and I'd like to stay at that or below if possible.

Hopefully most of these things can be found in a bike I'd enjoy riding. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017/cb1100.aspx]2017 CB1100 Overview - Honda Powersports

Thanks! That looks really close to what I'd like, and thanks for the suggestion. If only it had a belt instead of a chain, but the belt (or shaft) falls into the 'it would be nice' category more than essential. Hopefully they've been making this basic bike long enough I could pick up a good used one like it more in my budget category.

Anything else that comes close to my wants-list?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I really like the CB1100 Honda, it hits most of the marks I set. Okay, it's a very 'universal Japanese motorcycle' looking bike but I don't mind at all.

So I go on Craigslist and someone not too far from me is offering a 2013 with 1950 miles, it's on an obviously high quality battery tender in a clean garage, looks like you'd expect it to. I'm thinking this is one of those bikes that got bought and the guy just didn't have the time to ride, or noplace TO ride, and now he's parting with it.

(What does a high quality battery tender have to do with anything? Well it's the same fancy rather pricey one I bought for my bike and I am good to my stuff and take good care of it. I'm thinking that isn't a bad sign that he's got the same one. Okay, that's crazy.)

He's asking $3500 for the CB1100. I can't post the link because I'm new here, it won't let me, but you might find it if you go to craigslist and search in South Bend Indiana for Honda CB1100.

Does this price seem like a steal? Or typical? I'd sure appreciate some more experienced eyes offering opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very nice looking for sure but I think I prefer a 4 cyl to a V twin - and I just checked, the weight on that beauty is over 700 pounds. That's at least 150 more than I'm looking for. I do appreciate any and all suggestions though.

Very curious and hope to get some input on the CB1100 I found for $3500, if that's potentially a super deal.

·
Biker
1,724 Posts
Hello BullRider,

YUP, I know what you mean, recently I saw a Triumph Rocket III, with a 3 cyl. in-line engine, massive gas tank and what pipes! sounded great but that bike had to weigh in at at least 900 pounds. That is just too much weight for me. Good luck in finding what you like !

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
if you just put the link text here, someone can post the link for you,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'd say the ad has been pulled, they must have sold it. He told me they had a few calls on it already. $3650 for a bike with 2000 miles on it, no surprise that it went quick.
Looking at the specs and the other bikes I see out there (different models / makes) it's obvious that this is THE bike I want... just gonna have to hold out for another one that's affordable.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you can live with carbs, test drive a Valkyrie and you will look no further. The more I ride the more I enjoy this bike and I have had many in the past all very different then this one. The best part is the are not a lot of money!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can live with carbs, test drive a Valkyrie and you will look no further. The more I ride the more I enjoy this bike and I have had many in the past all very different then this one. The best part is the are not a lot of money!
Well, I'll check them out but I think that's WAY heavier than I want to go and boy if there IS one thing I love about my Sportster's engine it has to be the fuel injection. The bike fires immediately and runs perfectly. (I even just bought a Cub Cadet lawn tractor with FI to get away from the carb!) A friend of mine in AZ has a Valkyrie and loves it, but he's almost a foot taller than me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The newer version of my bike is the 1800 and it is fuel injection but even heavier.
Mine is about 800 lbs but I hardly notice the weight until I add a passenger I do notice it then.
I love the smooth engine and ride I have never driven anything like it before! But it's not for everyone that's why they make so many different bike :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's still listed.
Holy smokes! I will be getting back in touch with the guy. For that price I may pay cash for it and worry about selling the Sportster later.
Yesterday for a while the ad was down...

Okay, I think I may take a run down this weekend by myself and check out the bike. If it's good I'll give a big deposit and pick it up next week.
But what do I do to make sure it's as good as one would expect of a 2000 mile bike?
I'm thinking it ought to be basically near perfect, no scratches or dents or signs that it's been down (munged hand grips or peg rubber).
I recall my GS1000's engine did have a lot of mechanical noise to it even from new, can I expect that to also be true of the CB1100? Nothing very loud but very 'busy' sounding.
They claim to have a clean title in hand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.