Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday morning I bought an almost new and showroom clean, low mileage 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, in metallic black/ blue, with the factory riders back rest, small-tasteful Triumph hard leather saddlebags and the small sport fairing. I haven't had time to take my own pictures yet but here is a public domain one but without the bags and backrest:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Congrats. The Rocket is an amazing and powerful motorcycle. Gives you the bragging rights to riding the largest displacement bike in production in the world. I became part of the Triumph family back in 2011 with an America, but wanted something bigger not long after. Last year I bought a new Thunderbird 2013 that was sitting on the dealer's floor. The jump from 865cc to 1600cc was just what I wanted. Now I find myself thinking that maybe I need to move up to the "big daddy" with 2300cc. Beautiful looking bike, by the way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Very nice, can't wait to see the pictures of yours

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of a Rocket for several years now. Since I got rid of the 109, it is a possibility. The one thing that holds me back is the distance to a dealer for parts and service.

Good luck with your purchase, it has to be a fun ride. I still get a kick out of those commercials on Youtube.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I bet you're going to have lots of fun with all that torque and power.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of the machine you got. Looks like you made one of those rare finds!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Cool bike, congratulations!

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Nice bike! Congrats!

Seldom see one on the road. It's nice to have something different.

·
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks my friends!

Vito, the next bike in line before I fell for the Rocket was your thunderbird and I think it is absolutely gorgeous!

Luvs to play, you have the M109 (I had it's cousin, the C109) so the Rocket would be a good mount for you, if you like more of an upright seating position.

Here's a small first ride review:

Knowing that it was going to be near 95 to 100 today in SW Missouri, I decided to leave just as the Sun came up and to do my usual break-in/ Fuel mileage test that I do for every bike I've ever owned. I filled up near the Interstate and went east for about 100 miles or so and held the speed to 65 mph, which is about 2,350 rpms and it was just loafing along:biggrin: The early cloudiness, humidity and a temperature of 75 degrees made riding enjoyable.:p I then went North towards Stockton Lake and then west and eventually south on 2 lane roads through the beautiful, green countryside.

The "Big Girl," like most fat Ladies can really dance and loves to do so:wink: On the Interstate she was superb and the ride almost felt like I was sitting on a bike that was on a trailer: No twitchiness, abruptness, harsh ride or anything to distract from the nice experience. The Inverted front forks and the rear shocks work very good together. I haven't adjusted anything so it's probably set up for one of those small and frail Britts or Aussies, who seem to be the major riders of the R3 according to the R3 forum I belong to.:biggrin:

Okay, you probably want to know what the power and torque is like and if I felt apprehensive or intimidated on my first Rodeo on this new mount; Awesome but not scary, with perfect control of the speed and torque right in my overly large and computer calloused right hand:) I've told people many times that very fast bikes or cars or hopped up pickups like mine will still cruise all day at 45-50 mph and never try to kill ya--It's up to you.

Passing is like this: "That guy is sure driving slow, should I pass Him? And then a nano second later you've already done so, then of course the massive brakes and ABS allows you to quickly scrub off speed and slow down in front of the guy you just passed:biggrin:

This is not the fastest bike that I've owned but it comes close and has real useable low end/ middle range power that really won't surprise a person. At 70 mph, which is 2,500 rpm's, there is 155 ft lbs of torque to push the big lady and she willingly responds. The redline is 6,500 rpm's.

Having said this regarding the unbelievable but controllable power and speed, I think it's easier to ride than my past 2012 Goldwing, handles and rides better and doesn't look like the 'Starship Enterprise' while on the road.

My fuel consumption was good I thought, for a 2,400cc, 2.4L bike. It was 39 mpg which is fine because it's got a 6.3 gallon tank and uses 87 octane fuel, so the range is better than any other bike I've ever had.

The ergonomics are just right for me and the seat is comfortable but less so than the Goldwing or Electra Glide. I like the backrest--first one ever.

Besides having a couple of trip meters, it also has a neat feature as it tells you how many miles are remaining until supposedly empty. Once it gets down to say 20 miles or so, a fuel light will come on but there is still 1.5 gal+ fuel remaining. Of course it has lots of other functions in the gages too.

There are a few farkles I will eventually get like a larger windscreen and a small chrome or black tastefull luggage rack.

I ended up doing 235 miles and consumed a large Apple fritter, a glazed Buttermilk doughnut and a couple cups of joe.

Got home and it was right at 100 degrees as I dismounted.

Have a great weekend!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Super!!! I sorta figured that triple would be just a nice handful. I think you are on the right track with some kind of tour pack or even saddle bags for that matter. The market today is lush with different options.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I heard that the Rocket III is kinda top heavy? How is the low speed balance and such?

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Boss Hoss;

I got to take my neighbor up and riding his. He says it is surprisingly easy to ride. He's preparing for Strugis now. I just can't get past what the heat must be like on the thing though. A darn v-twin can cook ya.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Nice, porky! Make sure your health insurance is up to date. I hear that engine will yank your arms out of their sockets on a regular basis. ;)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Dash, I've found them to be very nimble, especially for such a huge bike.

Porky....Congrats man!
Then I should add that to my list to consider, assuming I can find one within my price range lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts