Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm a new rider from SC, USA - I recently bought an '81 GS450L with 15,000 miles. It's not road-worthy yet, but I have a good bit of experience with older cars (everything from classics to 90s and newer), and I like learning new things. Looking forward to learning things and maybe helping others once I get into the world of motorcycles, and seeing how I can adapt some of my car knowledge to bikes.

Cheers

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Welcome to you from a fellow South Carolinian! I don't know what part of the state you live in, but if you see an old coot on a brand-new Kawasaki Z650 or a new-looking '08 Suzuki Boulevard C50 -- it might be me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You are lucky to be so close to the tail of the dragon. I wish I could ride up there someday.

Where I live is a good 3.5-4 hour ride to the Tail, and frankly I don't care for it all that much. Oh, it's quite a road, but it is so popular that it is always crowded with riders -- some few very highly skilled, and many, many who THINK they are highly skilled but are not. On busy weekends there is usually an ambulance stationed about halfway up, and they stay very busy. To tell the truth there are a lot of roads in the area that are just as good but virtually untraveled, and those are the ones I prefer. In the area around Hendersonville, NC, an hour or so east of the Dragon and where I spend most of my mountain time, you can easily spend an entire weekend exploring and riding dozens of equivalent, but deserted, roads. Much more relaxing and fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've never been to the Tail of the Dragon and it'll definitely be a while before I'm ready for that kind of riding. However, I've done quite a bit of mountain driving in a '99 Miata, so I know the feeling of whipping around turns. I always meant to take it up there but there are plenty of fun roads in my area since I'm pretty close to the mountains.

Welcome to you from a fellow South Carolinian! I don't know what part of the state you live in...
I'm also from Anderson / Clemson. So, if you see anyone riding a red, moderately ****ty GS450L around, that might be me. :grin:

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
For some reason, it seems anyway, people are afraid to explore on their own. There are great roads in almost every state. But only those few that thousand have traveled do people seem to think are any good. But there are many many more out there. Now in Texas if you explore, you better be prepared to ride in gravel. Roads just suddenly turn to gravel in many areas. Too bad too because some are great until that. Maybe that's why people don't like to explore on their own. Oh well. So I get to see country others will never see. Their loss on several counts.:grin:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Welcome from North Florida .. Post some pictures up of making your Ride Road Worthy .. Many of us find that interesting and might share and pick up some useful information making it a Better Ride ..

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Welcome from North Florida .. Post some pictures up of making your Ride Road Worthy .. Many of us find that interesting and might share and pick up some useful information making it a Better Ride ..
Oh great. Now you are just going to get him to blast us complaining he can't post pictures yet because he doesn't have 15 posts yet. :devil:

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

I'm actually pretty familiar with what Texas is like since I have a lot of family from there. It's hot enough that they have to put gravel on the roads to keep tires from sticking to the asphalt.

I've also discovered a good way to replace the stock airbox-carburetor boots on the GS450 with rubber plumbing couplings (hear me out) that works way better than it should for what it is. I'll post pictures of this as well when I can so other people can replace their dry-rotted boots.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
I've also discovered a good way to replace the stock airbox-carburetor boots on the GS450 with rubber plumbing couplings (hear me out) that works way better than it should for what it is. I'll post pictures of this as well when I can so other people can replace their dry-rotted boots.
Being somewhat of a cheapskate myself, I appreciate cheap and ingenious solutions. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts