Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My name's Joe and as you can tell from the title of this post, I'm new to the forum and I'm excited to be a part of it and learn a lot from you all.

My first experience on a motorcycle was on my big brother's '75 Honda CB. I never operated myself, but remember all the good times we had on it when he rode me around town as a kid.

Since then I have had a love for vintage sport motorcycles and have wanted to ride ever since. But a little thing called procrastination and life got in the way. Now as a 33 year old I decided to get out there and start riding. I just got my permit and completed the MSF course this summer, but as I'm sure you all know I need a lot more practice and experience.

I have a small amount of cash (about $2500) at hand have begun looking at some well kept vintage bikes. I'll save questions about that for a different post, but needless to say, I'm excited about riding safely, having a great time doing so, and learning how to fix my ride when it gives me some issues ;)

As for other things about myself, I am an animation artist with a specialty in character design. I currently work as a lighting designer for a lighting company, but hope to make the transition to a major animation studio soon.

I was a youth pastor for about 10 years of my life before that and still have a desire to teach art one day in the future.

As for hobbies, I love playing electric guitar, drawing, painting, comics and getting coffee.

Last but not least I'm happily married to a kick ass girl.

Thanks for having me and say what's up if you have a chance. If you're in the Los Angeles area, even better. I need someone to ride with.

-Joe, Joseph, Joey, etc.:coffee:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will probably have more foolks chime in so let me be the first. As a new rider we are going to encourage you to start small, like less than a 500cc twin.
As a person looking at used bikes, I suggest that you check parts availability before jumping in. I own an old 1965 BMW that I can still get some parts for, but a new exhaust system would cost me more than I paid for the whole bike back in 1970 and there are parts that would need to be made or adapted from other bikes.
A used bike less than 10 years old would be my suggestion. It should make parts easier to come by at reasonable prices.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear you took the BRC. That is a great place to start. Several of us ride those vintage bikes. You need to have a little mechanical know how with them.

Darn, come to think of it I've had my old girl 10 years next month. She's never left me stranded.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great welcome guys. I will def keep you posted with what I find for a first bike.

My curse is that I love vintage bikes. Can't get into the modern rides out there. At least not yet.

I feel that my only cure is learning some mechanics and truth be told I love that idea. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction for some resources. :)

Thanks again. Look forward to being a part of the group.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico. If you're close to L.A., finding someone to ride with will not be a problem...

2yellowlogo.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Joe, Welcome to what I believe will be a good thing you joined this forum. I recon bike guys are the best people around. They will always stop and ask if they can help when your stuck on the side of the road, car drivers won't do that unless they are bikers as well. I have just joined myself and am renovating ( or trying to!! ) a 1926 Harley Pup 21" 350cc side valve single. I also have a 1965 BSA C15 Trials Pastoral and a 1959 BSA A10 Golden Flash. I only finished building the Flash a few weeks ago and have only ridden it a couple of times, but love it. Although bikes of this age need a little more attention occasionaly it is all worth it. I started out on a Ariel 500cc Red Hunter at 16 years in 1954 (jees I'm old) wrote that off but didn't do any damage to myself fortunately. With the Insurance money I went and bought a 350 40M Manx Norton which was the "bees knees". Sold that to buy an engagement ring for my girl friend for 100 pounds sterling. And didn't get a bike again until about 20 years ago due to work committments and family raising. Been married 54 years to my lovely wife. Ride safe. Gerry from Australia. Gotta get 15 posts up before I can post some pics' but won't be long now...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome from Ohio! I have never ridden a bike less than 15 years old, my first was a 1976 Suzuki 550, and I think it was just right for a newb. Also, it had gear indicators and a fuel gauge, very helpful if you're a novice, just don't get used to it! My current ride has neither, and I'm suffering a bit for it. Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts