Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Fellow Enthusiasts!

I live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Waynesboro and Staunton to be precise.

I have been riding since my teenage years but didn't ride for years until I bought a 2001 Sportster 883. Sold that on eBay to a neat guy from Florida then bought a BMW K1200LT in 2003 and rode it to the Grand Canyon (6,000 miles in twenty days) and back. Couldn't afford to keep the BMW and then didn't own anything until my mother-in-law talked me into buying her late husband's 89' Gold Wing with a California Sidecar attached. The bike only has 27,000 on the odometer. A sidecar is a different breed of cat, that's for sure.

I do have one question though. I like the idea of a trike conversion but why hasn't someone built a simply designed one that can lean into the curves like a regular motorycycle? It doesn't seem like rocket science to me but, aside from the somewhat complicated "Tiltster" by Mystery Designs, I havn't seen one. I'm referring to a traditional trike with two wheels in the rear. H-D has a patent for a three wheeled bike that has two wheels in the front and leans. look up 7,343,997 on Google patents. It still looks to me like all three wheel lean at the same angle. How could that work if all three are following a different arc?

Anyway, look forward to learning more on here.

·
Super Moderator
6,326 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I was down in your neck of the woods over spring break, taking a three day break to run down the Skyline Drive. Beautiful area indeed.:icon_cool:

·
10,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are two types of 3 wheeled scooters that I can think of that lean. Piaggio and scooter pod have different takes on the same idea. Piaggio has the two wheels in front and the pod has them at the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts